Sunday, October 7, 2007

Little Flirt

Last night, Bruce and I were supposed to have a date night to celebrate my birthday. I had a girl in our youth group lined up to babysit for Spencer and Allison, and Clay was going to play with the son of a friend of mine. We had reservations at Guiseppe's, a great Italian restaurant that we haven't eaten at since Bryan and Alondra's wedding rehearsal dinner.

After an afternoon of soccer games with the kids (Clay and Allison both scored their first goals this year!), we got home and I called both our babysitter and my friend to check on times and ended up leaving messages. We waited and waited to hear back from either of them, most importantly the babysitter. By 5 p.m., the designated time, we hadn't heard back from either of them. So, we packed the kids up and headed to O'Charley's for dinner. The meal was great, and the kids were sweet.

And then the flirting began. Shortly after our waitress left our table about halfway through our meal, Spencer watched her across the room and said, "I like her hair." A minute later, he said, "Her earrings are pretty."

A bit more conversation led to Clay spilling the beans about two girls in his class that he has crushes on. One was no surprise at all... she's called our house about four times now. Their conversations are hilarious. And short -- per mommy!!

Our waitress came back and I said, "Spencer, tell her what you said about her hair." He laid all his cards on the table and told her he liked her hair and her earrings. He was grinning from ear to ear, and Bruce and I were cracking up. Bruce said, "I think he has a crush on you." And Allison giggled and said, "He loves you." The waitress was silly back with Spencer and said, "Aw, do you want to marry me?" Without missing a beat, Spencer said, "Not now. But when I'm older." She asked him to look her up in a few years, and he said, "Maybe when I'm 60."

I'm feeling really good about him right now. My youngest son will still be living at home when he's 60, because in his mind, that's the age to marry. (Hey, I'll be 92 then. I'm seeing huge future savings on nursing home costs.)

Spencer's charm must have worked some kind of magic... she brought them all free chocolate sundaes. At that point Spencer said, "Let's come back here again tomorrow."

No comments: