Monday, December 14, 2009

Allison's Turn

We have been in a bit of spot since Spencer asked Jesus into his heart. If you haven't read the previous post where I told about his experience, I'll fill you in on Allison's response to the news... she cried. And then she moaned this phrase, "I'll never get to be a Christian!"

It's been awhile since we've had any twin issues in our house. And, actually, I thought I was pretty much past all those hurdles after we decided to keep them in separate classrooms when they started school. I figured the next time a twin thing came up, it would entail newly licensed teens and car keys and me praying lots.

This issue snuck up on me. But it still involved me praying lots!

Of course I reassured Allison that she could become a Christian any time she felt Jesus talking to her heart about it. But, personally, I really didn't think she was ready.

Clay asked questions for a good year before he asked Jesus into his heart. Spencer did the same. And both boys went to speak to our respective pastors at that time long before they actually prayed for salvation.

Allison has had the same opportunities to hear about Christ that the boys have had. Lots of church, VBS every summer, BSF for three years... we surround our family with Him. But she has rarely asked any kind of question that would go very deeply into spiritual matters.

After Spencer asked Jesus into his heart, I wanted to hold her back. I didn't want her to have a copycat conversion. I wished it would be truly HER experience with Christ.

But it hit me that she has not asked many leading questions because she often does not get a chance to talk much when the boys are around. Oddly enough, the boys take after me... if they think it, they say it. Allison is more like her daddy... there's all kinds of thoughts going on in their heads that the world may never know about.

I told Allison that I'd make more time for her at bedtime each evening and she could ask any question she wanted. And she has taken me up on that several times.

But I still did not feel she was getting very meaty with her questions. She was basically having me reiterate teachings she's already known about most of her life.

Last week, she started asking me (at the most inopportune times!), "Mom, can you help me become a Christian tomorrow?" Or, "Can we talk about me asking Jesus into my heart when we get home from school today?"

But then she wouldn't mention it again later.

Yesterday morning, several people were baptized at the beginning of our morning church service. And at the end, Spencer went forward to tell the church about his decision to ask Jesus into his heart. Then, last night at the evening service, the children did their Christmas program and it had the message of salvation in it. And I believe that all those things rumbled around inside Allison's head all day.

Because at bed time, she asked again: "Mom, can we talk about me being a Christian tomorrow?"

Well, I thought to myself, what's wrong with right now? Why does she keep asking about doing it later?

Do I think she understands every thing that being a Christian means? No. But she's 7 years old. I was 21 when I asked Jesus into my heart and even at that age, I didn't understand much. I learn more about what it means to be a Christian every day.

Why shouldn't she take that first step? She obviously wanted to. Who am I to stiffle that?

The Lord knew long before we did that he was blessing us with twins. And perhaps He even ordained it to be that Allison would long after Him more because her twin led the way.

So we talked some more and then she prayed for Jesus to come into her heart and be her Lord and Savior.

It'll be interesting to see how her life adapts to this new faith. I've seen my boys working out their faith and realizing the small ways God wants them to change. And it looks different on both of them. I'm sure Allison's walk will be unique, too.

Makes me think of the lyrics to the Steven Curtis Chapman song, The Great Adventure where he says:
"Saddle up your horses we've got a trail to blaze
Through the wild blue yonder of God's amazing grace
Let's follow our leader into the glorious unknown
This is a life like no other - this is The Great Adventure."

We are so blessed!

No comments: