Friday, December 11, 2009

Forever and a Day

It's been awhile since I posted anything. I just haven't felt like taking the time.

Plus, more often than not, I post to keep my mom informed of what's going on here, and she's been having some computer problems. So I knew she wasn't looking.

But this weekend, she's getting some computer assistance, so I wanted to put something on here for her.

Lately, we've instituted the Kid Cleaning Crew on Saturdays in our house. You'd think that as a stay-at-home mom, I could get this house clean during the week. But I run so often to the school to do this or that with one kid or another, that I'm lucky to throw in a load of laundry and get the dishwasher running before I leave the house most days.

So Saturday mornings, we crack the whip and get everyone working together in a concentrated effort to clean house.

Now, the house might not get cleaned like it would if I did it myself, but the kids are learning to do things independently. And with all three working on the things they can do (unloading the dishwasher, folding clothes and putting their things away, cleaning bathroom sinks, gathering and then tossing all garbage into our big garbage bin, vacuuming, and cleaning their own rooms), I can concentrate on the stuff they can't yet do. Or the things that I don't yet have the patience to "let" them do... like scrubbing toilets. Not that any of them have really been eager to try that yet.

Anyway, with us all working together for a little over an hour, the house gets presentable.

I love it! The kids are learning to do it without grumbling, too. Mostly because I told them that every time they grumble I will take away a toy of my choosing. And that toy will not be returning.

So far, only one toy has left the building. All our Thomas the Trains are gone.

This is win-win for me. The house gets cleaned and toys get purged.

This first picture was of Allison during one of our Saturday cleaning sessions. She got herself properly outfitted as a Putzfrau. She'd make a fine German cleaning lady. I think the sunglasses are to make sure she feels pretty even if she is on her hands and knees, vacuuming. Whatever it takes!



The next three pictures are head shots of the kids, because they've changed so much lately.

Both boys have let their hair grow out - Clay's by his own choice, and Spencer because I think he needs a little more hair on top when it's so cold outside during the winter. (Buzz cuts are for summer!)





Allison and I went last night to get our hair cut. She wanted it short. And she wanted bangs. I would love to keep it longer and sans the bangs. But I found a wad of hair on the floor the other day after she took scissors in hand to cut her own 'do. I figured it was time to let her have her way. It's just hair! We settled on semi-short with wispy bangs.



I'm not posting a picture of my haircut for at least two weeks. And there's a reason for that. I'm feeling a little bald right now.

I told my hairdresser I wanted it short again and to do what she wanted. Well, what she wanted is a good inch shorter than what I typically do.

My boys have told me repeatedly that they do not like my new cut because I no longer look like Mom. Allison has been mum on the subject. I think because I gave her a pep talk before we went on how to act should she get a haircut she does not like.

Bruce is wise enough to exercise his right to remain silent. Because whatever he says can, and will, be used against him.

I don't necessarily dislike the cut. I'm just getting used to it.

It's just hair. Luckily, mine grows faster than kudzu in the south during summer, so I'm good.

No comments: