Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Rodents and Winter Weather

It seems that the rodent up in Pennsylvania is accurate this year... we are ankle deep in more winter, as "predicted" on Groundhog Day. And the kids are on their ninth snow day this school year.

Today I discovered that people are not the only creatures who are crazy sick of snow. Our dog Dixie flipped out just a bit earlier today.

I hadn't gone out for the day to feed her yet. And I really didn't want to. It's been below freezing all day and hasn't stopped snowing since we woke up this morning.

I kept peeping out the window to see if our sweet Labrador had come out of her doghouse. By noon, I saw her playing in the snow.

She looked like she had a pine cone in her mouth. She often finds pine cones in our backyard, puts them in her dog food dish, and carries the whole thing around like it's filet mignon and she's a waitress at a fine restaurant.

But, this time, the closer Dixie got to our kitchen window, where I stood watching her, the more I realized, "That is not a pine cone in her mouth!"

The object swayed as our dog walked. A pine cone does not sway.

Nor does it have itty bitty feet. And the object dangling from our dog's mouth definitely had some itty bitty feet.

I got our camera out and zoomed in for a picture, but it was snowing too hard to see clearly exactly what Dixie had caught. My best guess is that it was either a mouse or a mole.

My poor puppy's brain has frozen and she thinks she's a cat!

Thankfully, I'm certain this dementia is reversible and it's only partial. Dixie then walked to my favorite tree, dug a hole in the ground at its base, dropped her mouthful, and gave the dead thing a proper burial.

Only 37 more days until Spring.

No comments: