Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween

We're just coming off a sugar high like no other, but we'll take the time to sit still long enough to blog.

This year, I carved our pumpkin. Bruce and his dad worked on our deck Wednesday evening, so I took over Bruce's usual honor of Jack O'Lantern Carver. The kids were pretty happy with the outcome, even if we only had him lit up for a few minutes that night. We weren't even home to let him shine for trick-or-treaters.



Last night, we headed to our church. For the first time since we've attended, our church had a Halloween alternative night. I've always wished we'd do one, but after the kids have been so accustomed to trick or treating, I wondered how they'd do without it. After they got dressed in their costumes, we went to one house in our neighborhood, an older couple that goes to our church. We can't walk the neighborhood without stopping by Mr. Mark's house, so it's a tradition we couldn't break. We had to trick or treat there!

Spencer was Batman, Allison was a princess, and Clay was a Transformer.



Our church gym was packed with activities and fun stuff for the kids to do. Pretty impressive for a first endeavor, I must say. Here are the kids trying the limbo.



And Spencer enjoyed a brief visit to the jail. Allison was too nervous to try that particular silliness. She also opted not to stick her hand inside boxes for feeling brains, eyeballs or worms. Smart girl!



Allison decided to undergo a slight change in costume when she saw the face painting area. Nothing like a kitty princess.



I wish I had more pictures of Clay, but that child pretty much was his own man last night. I caught only brief glimpses of him the whole night. He and Spencer were busy bees... both came home with two bags each filled with candy. Allison came home with one that was about 3/4 full.

The biggest prize of the evening... goldfish. One of the game booths gave out ziploc bags of goldfish instead of candy. Several (smart) friends of ours made their kids give the fish back. But not us. We left with seven goldfish.

This morning after dropping Clay off at school, Spencer, Allison and I headed to PetSmart for a fishbowl. We ended up with an aquarium instead because of the number of fish we had. "Had" being the operative word. By the time I had assembled the filter and filled the tank, one was already belly up.

Perfect time for a phone call from Bruce's brother, Brandon, who has fish expertise. He walked me through the flushing... uh, burial, I mean. And then, when I mentioned that another fish was floating sort of sideways, he suggested I take my chances and forego the 24-hour period of waiting before putting the fish in the tank. I'm happy to report that Sideways Floater Number Two seems to have made a recovery and is zipping around the tank. For now.



We'll see how many fish survive.

In any case, coming home from church last night, all three kids said they enjoyed the Halloween alternative at church more than regular trick-or-treating!

No comments: