Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving and Before

The Saturday before Thanksgiving, we had semi-professional pictures of the kids made. Bruce works with a guy whose wife is starting out with her own photography business. Nicholle came from Bristol to our house, and she was about eight months pregnant to boot! We kept calling her Jennifer, because she looks a bit like my brother's wife, Aunt Jennifer. Here are a few of my favorite shots that she took.







We're thinking of getting a "real" digital camera for eachother for Christmas; something a bit beefier than our current digital "point and shoot". Bruce and I are tired of paying other people to take pictures of our kids when I have the training and experience and he has such a natural eye for good photos. (As a side note, Nicholle did not charge us a thing. She came for the experience and to build her portfolio.)

Now back to Thanksgiving. We took the camper to a site in Granville, an area that was just beautiful. A valley in between hills full of trees almost free of their fall leaves. The campground was in an itty bitty town right on a lake. The 30 minute drive to grandpa's each morning was so pretty. We spent all day at grandpa's or my older brother's house and only went back to the camper each night to sleep. There was just not enough room at grandpa's inn for our family and my younger brother's family of four. Mom stayed with my older brother and his family. It actually worked out perfectly, I think.

Our kids love Uncle Terry and Aunt Jennifer's boys, Evan and Wyatt. But this visit was even sweeter with Uncle Chris and Aunt Becky there for the first time in three years. Allison had her cousin Emily to play with... and what a difference having another girl around made. It was super sweet to see them play.

And of course, cousin James is as high-powered as Spencer and Evan, so those three together were a sight to behold. We thought the weather wouldn't be good enough to let the kids outside to play, but nothing was holding those kids back... not cold, not rain and not three dogs either. (Chris and Becky brought their dog, Sissy, and Spencer loved her because she would just sit while he rubbed her tummy. No jumping... ahhh... what relief! And Terry or dad or grandpa - whoever decides to feed the critters - have two puppies that were dumped in their area recently.)

Spencer played so hard that he came back home with a black eye... somewhat self inflicted. He was riding Evan's tractor Power Wheel backwards and he was flipped off. I know this surprises no one who knows our boy!

Here's a few pictures from the weekend.

First up... Wyatt.



Next, James and Evan.



And Allison, eating a popcorn ball.



Grandpa and Chris.



Six of the seven Mitchell grandkids. Wyatt's missing.



Ah-ha... there's Wyatt, with his momma. Aunt Jennifer to my kids.



Time between meals for a little snack with Oma serving cereal for James, Evan and Emily.



Terry, Chris and Grandpa Jim.



Emily, looking too cute not to post here!



Me and my Mom.



Wyatt was getting tickled by his daddy for this one.



We tried to get all the kids to sit with Oma for a nice picture. This is the best one I got.



And then Emily and Allison got a little silly.



Which, of course, had to be followed by the four older boys attempting a nice picture of their own.



And, finally, my grandpa gets a picture of all his great-grandkids, sitting with him. And they were a bit more cooperative for him than they were for mom.



It was fun, but never long enough.

I realize that I have no pictures on here of Aunt Becky or my sweet hubby. Becky and I were running around as photographers, and she must have slipped away from me. She's as sneaky as Jennifer that way! And it's a shame, too, because she's beautiful. I must admit, my brothers and Bruce's brothers both have the prettiest wives. Now, I expect to receive some really nice Christmas gifts for my flattery! (You all know I'm kidding. But only about the gifts, not about my sisters-in-law being gorgeous.)

Now, about Bruce. I got a few pictures of him, but nothing noteworthy. Becky, on the other hand, has a masterpiece that I hope she'll e-mail me. I mentioned before that the kids made several potholders with the loom that Emily had. And when they needed help, they went to either Aunt Becky or daddy, not me. Becky caught Bruce on camera... weaving away on that little purple, plastic loom. I think it was relaxing to him in a room full of rambunctious kids. If she sends it, I'll post it.

No comments: