Thursday, May 7, 2009

Are You Praying?



Today is our country's National Day of Prayer. It's the 58th annual observance. And this year's theme is "Prayer... America's Hope" which comes from Psalm 33:22: "May your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in you."

I seriously hope that you'll take the time today to do more than shoot up a quickie prayer. If you don't believe our country needs God's help, then I have to wonder if you've watched the news lately. Even without headline news, I only have to listen to my third grader tell me things he's heard his classmates say to realize we're in trouble.

This article by CNN also spoke to me the need to pray diligently, because we don't appear to have our current president's full support in unified, public prayer for our country.



I looked at several YouTube videos before finally posting this one. Every one of them that I found always posted a picture of George W. Bush when the lyrics mention praying for those raised up to lead the way.

But Obama has been raised up to lead for now. Let's pray for him, too.

And let's do it without judgment or condescension as we try to guess at the state of his heart. That's not our job.

Praying is though.

Get to it.

1 comment:

Brian E. Sharp said...

Yep. We just got through with a nice prayer time here at the church.