Monday, October 13, 2008

Seeing Clearly

It hit me yesterday that I have just a bit over a week before I have LASIK surgery.

This is something that I have looked forward to for years. Bruce and I both wanted to have it done before we even had kids. Now, all these years later, I'm finally taking the plunge and having the surgery next Tuesday, Oct. 21.

I'm really excited and hopeful about the outcome.

Our last vacation is probably what encouraged me to finally go through with this. We took our camper to the Outer Banks for a week.

I pretty much exclusively wear glasses now because my allergies have made contacts so uncomfortable. And my eyes will gum up like I have pink eye the morning after I wear them.

But it flat out stinks to wear glasses while playing with your kids in a swimming pool.

And showering in a camper is a contortionist's challenge as it is, without wondering where you should lay your glasses until you're finished.

Remembering the clip-on sunglasses has never been my strong point. When I wore contacts, I'd have various pairs of cheap sunglasses in several different locations: in the van, in Bruce's truck, in my purse, etc.

Once while we were seashell hunting at the beach, the wind blew my glasses straight off my face. I just happened to retrieve them in the shallow waves before they were sucked out to sea.

Can you tell I am really looking forward to having this surgery?

But I am also very nervous. It is my eyes, after all. I've never actually fainted at an eye appointment, but I have had to take measures to prevent it... with head tucked between my knees.

I also have never had any kind of elective surgery. I'm a bit of a medical phobic person. All those needles and blood and stuff. (I am a huge fan of ER and House though. How crazy is that?)

I've noticed that in the last few days, I've got all this nervous junk going on in my belly. And my legs are twitching non-stop, which is what I do when I'm stressed. That and bite the inside of my lips, which are now appropriately gnawed raw.

The bad thing is that stress makes my face break out, so expect to see some pimples in the days to come. On the plus side, I'm really hoping that all the leg movement qualifies as exercise. If I'm really vigorous about it, maybe I'll even lose a pound or two.

I'm not holding my breath though. Because the other thing I do when I'm nervous is eat. And I'm not partial about what I eat either. Sweet or salty, it's all good!

Seriously, will you please pray for me?

For good results from the surgery, quick recovery and for some peace in the days to come.

Bruce told me last night that I was supposed to be excited, not nervous.

I told him, "That's like telling a woman about to go into labor to look forward to that. No, I just want the baby at the end."

2 comments:

~cassie~ said...

Completely understand...Surgery, whether elective or not..is scary. I will be praying for you..Love ya.

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you Tanja! Good luck! My mother in law had it done a few years ago and did wonderful!
love ya!
christy hite