Friday, October 3, 2008

Sidelined!

I got some things done the last two days that I needed to get done, but I didn't really expect to get done. Unfortunately, I got caught up because Clay has been home from school the last two days with strep.

I'm praying this is in no way foreshadowing for the kind of year we can expect to have with our unwelcome acquaintance Streptococcus. But I'd be crazy not to wonder, considering we just finished with Spencer's dose of amoxicillin on Monday.

I don't think Clay got it from Spencer. Because nothing gets me to clean the house quite like strep does. Strep throat and the stomach flu. Bleach and I become BFF... Well, we aren't Best Friends Forever exactly, but at least for a few days.

And, when someone's sick in this house, my kids steer clear of that person. It's like the ill person has a big germy S on their chest. (S for Sicko.)

Plus, strep is already going around at their school.

Why is it that loose teeth need wiggling most often during strep season? Telling my kids to keep their hands out of their mouths does not work when the lure of money from the Tooth Fairy is dancing in their heads like visions of sugar plums and all that.



I think the Tooth Fairy needs to fund our co-pays for awhile.

Oh, wait... she already does! A mom just can't win sometimes.

On a good note, I got Spencer and Allison their flu vaccine yesterday when I took Clay for his throat culture. Clay will go next week, as will I. The kids sniff their vaccine; Bruce and I get poked.

We're big proponents of the flu vaccine. I've had the flu twice since Bruce and I got married 14 years ago. The first time was before we had kids. The second time was two years ago, and life in our household was drastically altered that week. Bruce did great, doing all the stuff I'd normally do, plus taking care of me. It stunk... because it was over Christmas break and the holiday was a blur for me.

Last year when we made plans to go to Disney over Christmas break, I lined us all up for flu vaccines. No way were we shelling out all that cash only to spend a week lying in a hotel bed the whole time.

The vast majority of the past two days I've spent going through the kids closets. Moving things from Clay's closet to Spencer's. Estimating what will still fit the kids next summer. Growling about the stuff I bought new, when it was on sale at the end of last winter, that the kids outgrew without ever wearing. Packing up some stuff for Goodwill or to pass on to friends. And figuring out what needs to be tossed because it'd simply be far too embarrassing to pass on to someone else, even as play clothes. Even though those very clothing items are what my kids wear at play time.

It doesn't bother me for my kids to look like hooligans when they're playing. It keeps me from being a crazy, hovering person. And the kids enjoy mommy, and playing, more that way.

And I have been doing laundry like a mad woman. Because I've been so far behind. This past week, I've often sent the kids to the laundry basket full of clean and dry, but unsorted clothes, so they can dig out their own clean undergarments, socks, pj's, whatever!

It just gets that way sometimes, doesn't it?

Is it bad to be thankful for the down time when it comes at your kid's expense?

Is it crazy to call what's been going on here for two days "down time"?

Ahh, but life is good. I can't help but feel blessed.

Closets are organized. Laundry is nearly done. We've got a great pediatrician, who my kids love. We've got health insurance.

My recovering child has a mountain of make-up work to do. He pounced on it without any prompting from me, and within an hour he was half finished.

And we're going out to eat tonight. To celebrate my birthday a few days early.

I think the best part is that I'm not turning 40.

Yet.


1 comment:

Heather said...

No way, do your kids really sniff their flu vaccine? Our pediatrician has never offered that to our kids....