Sunday, January 18, 2009

Date Delays and Weather Woes

So much for my sweet date with Spencer.

It has been postponed.

Friday night Bruce and I went out with several other couples from our Sunday school class. We met at the House of Ribs and had a great meal and lots of laughs. Despite it being cold enough outside to consider staying home and roasting by the fireplace.

When we got to my in-laws' house to pick up the kids, Bruce talked to his dad for nearly 45 minutes. By the time we got home and had the kids tucked in bed, it was almost 11 p.m. Our kids are normally in bed between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. So even though I had my alarm set to get up and get ready for my breakfast date with Spencer, I couldn't bring myself to wake him up.

Instead, we all slept in. A little bit anyway. We still got up to go to their basketball games.

Spencer wasn't too happy about not having his date with me, but we planned istead to go before church this morning.

That was not to be either. Before we went to bed last night, Bruce looked outside and saw sleet coming down.

Again, I had my alarm set for early this morning. But after checking the outdoor thermometer and the Weather Channel, I hit snooze a few more times.

When Spencer came in our room 20 minutes later, I told him we'd have to wait for our date. He asked if we could go at lunch. I agreed, but he changed his mind. He is jonesing for breakfast at Golden Corral. So that's where we'll be next Saturday morning.

I think. We'll see what God has planned.

Our driveway is a sheet of ice right now. Sunday school and the early service of church have been cancelled. Bruce is going to the second service, because he is running the sound.

But I'm staying home with the kids. Allison has been barking coughs all week long and it sounds pretty grotesque this morning.

There's no school tomorrow, so we'll tuck in and stay home then, too. Hopefully, by Tuesday, she'll be all better. And maybe nobody else will catch this funk either.

There are some things that even snow, sleet and hail can't prevent, and I'm not talking about mail delivery. I have to do a Wal-mart run today.

There's no milk in the house. And our coffee maker died this morning.

I'm not sure which is more of an emergency.

The coffee maker, I think.

No comments: