Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My FIL

Bruce's dad is still in the hospital.

Surgery yesterday morning went well. He was supposed to stay at the hospital one night and then go home today. My mother-in-law slept at the hospital with him last night.

We went by the hospital last night around 7 p.m. to visit with them for a few minutes. The kids behaved great and didn't jump on the hospital bed or tug the IV line. (They were so good that I hopped down a floor and over a wing or two to visit a friend from my Bible study group. And then I got lost trying to find my way back to my father-in-law's room. Crazy hospital!)

I almost didn't let the kids go for the visit. I wasn't sure how they would react to seeing their Papaw in a hospital bed. They are not accustomed to seeing my FIL as anything less than larger-than-life. Most days, he has nearly the energy that our kids have. Really. He could take 'em. Or at least go down still swinging.

But when I asked the kids if they wanted to go for a visit, Spencer seemed especially distraught about Roy's condition. He had to know for himself that Papaw was fine.

As soon as they rounded the corner to his room, Roy reassured them that he was fine, despite appearances. Evidently, they were momentarily stunned into silence. If I'd known that was coming, I would have prepared myself to enjoy the brief pause more.

Spencer's face was as serious as could be as he asked my FIL various questions.

Then we went home.

This morning, Bruce called to tell me that he called his mom on his way to work and she said that his dad's blood pressure dropped around midnight and wasn't stable since then.

For now, he stays put.

Bruce left work early today to relieve his mom a bit so she could go home and shower.

The kids got off the bus a minute ago, and I gave them updates.

Clay got very serious and said, "Mom, what's wrong with his blood pressure?"

I said we didn't know. And he asked me if it was low because they had visited him. I could have cried for him, thinking he might have done something to hurt his grandpa.

I assured him they didn't do anything bad to their Papaw by visiting.

And, because I am a good mother, I didn't tell him that what they usually do is RAISE a person's blood pressure. Mine, in particular!

Say a prayer for Roy and Sharon please. And for Bruce and his brothers, too. Oh, just lump us all in there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definately will say a prayer for Roy...and all of you! Please let me know if you guys need anything!

Love ya,
christy hite

KC said...

oh yes.. your all in my prayers.