Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

I'm watching the Inauguration of our 44th president. And I am torn.

What a proud day that our country would finally take steps to heal some of its past racial unrest. Although I think having a black president will incite some individuals, I'm hoping our country can hold it together for this next presidential term, or terms. I'm praying for our new president's safety and wisdom.

I don't expect that he will do much that I am personally in agreement with. But I trust the One really in control of this country.

Myself, I feel better having a black man as president than a woman. That's just me. I have my reasons. I won't go into great detail, but sum up my thoughts with this favorite quote from a wonderful story:

“Battles are ugly when women fight.”
--Aslan, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis

And for the next four years, longer if necessary, I'll be holding on to this scripture:

"Do not blaspheme God or curse the ruler of your people." Exodus 22:28.

That doesn't mean I won't share my opinions with family and close friends. I'm challenging myself to remain as respectful of this presidency as I would want my children to see me be.

Because they are watching me.

Just like I am watching our new president.

But for my security I'm keeping my eyes on the Prince of Peace. Not Obama.

1 comment:

~cassie~ said...

I started to write about the inauguration...but when I read yours...it simply summed up how I felt...Perfectly worded...Love it!! Thanks for sharing with us...Your writing skills amaze me!! Love ya.