Monday, January 19, 2009

Dorky

School is cancelled tomorrow. It's snowing. Again.

Today, the kids have been out for "Winter Break". Whatever that means. Clay thinks he's out for Martin Luther King Jr. Day, so calling this day off a "Winter Break" seems dorky to me. Call a spade a spade, and give MLK Jr. his day back!

We have another "Winter Break" day set for Feb. 16. I wonder if we'll lose that since school is closed tomorrow. It makes sense. But something dorkier (you know... more dorky) might happen and we'll keep our second "Winter Break" and just have the kids go to school one additional day in May.

These two "Winter Break" days bug me. Don't get me wrong. I like that the kids get a three-day weekend.

But I'd like it even more if they got a real "break"... of a few days. Back-to-back. Not two Mondays spread a month apart.

That's just dorky.

The area city school kids got a "Fall Break" in October. It lasted a full five days. Just like Spring Break. Now, those are breaks.

I understand that county schools can plan fewer breaks than city schools. Because city schools tend not to close for every flake of snow that falls. County schools are more prone to closing for winter weather. I know the reasons... safety... a larger area of land has a greater likelihood of someone in that district being in pitiful shape when snow and ice are a factor.

But still.

I could plan a real "break" around even a four-day weekend. A Calgon-Take-Me-Away kind of break. A Get-Out-of-Dodge sort of thing. A Let's-Make-it-Worth-Our-While-to-Load-Up-the-Camper deal.

A three-day weekend might take us to an area campground, but it's not going to get us very far from our normal stomping grounds. Not that we'd be camping in this weather anyway.

But still.

That's not what I'm craving right about now. I'm wanting something new. Unchartered territory for our family. Maybe even something out of our cell phone service area.

It's winter. I think I need to hibernate. But I need more than three days to do so.

Just gimme a break.

A real one.

Not something dorky and contrived.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Why don't they just be like city schools and call them "built in snow days" like we do??? Sounds much better don't you think? ;)