Sunday, September 26, 2010

Peace and Quiet

A short conversation with Spencer just now went like this:

Spencer: Mom, you know that tomorrow is a school day, don't you?

Me: Yes. Isn't it great?!

Spencer: Yes. I mean, no.

Me: What? What's not great about school tomorrow?

Spencer: It's great for you.

Me: Why is it great for me and not for you?

Spencer: You get peace and quiet.

"Hmmmm," I think to myself. "I am so busted! My kid knows why I love school days. It's quiet at home. No fighting children. No squealing car noises coming from the boys as they wreck cars. No tattling siblings.

"But I don't want him, or any of them, to think I don't miss them. Or that I don't love being their mom. Or that I don't enjoy spending time with them.

"What do I say now??"

Obviously, I was over thinking, as I am prone to do.

Because this is what was said next...


Spencer: You don't have to hear the teachers talking all day.

Oh. Yeah. THAT kind of peace and quiet.

Shew!

No comments: