Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Toy Fight

I picked up the kids from school today because Clay had an appointment for a haircut immediately after school. Picking up my kids is like a comedy of errors.

They're all spread out in different classes, the younger ones are in a completely separate wing than the older one, just about as far apart as they could be without leaving the premises. The older one has his related arts classes right before dismissal so I never know where exactly he'll be. Just as soon as they all were gathered together near the front door, Clay said he had to go to the bathroom.

Since we were right beside the boy's bathroom, I told him to go ahead. Then Spencer said he had to go to the bathroom, but not before he snatched some toy that Allison had received from a classmate. A silly little plastic lock of some kind. Which Spencer then took hostage on his sojourn into the restroom.

Tears welled immediately in Allison's eyes. And Woe Is Me, Act I began.

"He took my toy."

"It's my favorite toy."

"I got it from someone in my class."

"I'll never see it again."

Clay had returned from the bathroom by then but a glance at my watch confirmed we were running late. And my boy has been sporting a Shag for quite some time. This haircut was necessary!

I was losing patience. What was taking Spencer so long? Why can't these boys hold their bladders for the duration of a 10-minute drive across town? Can my girl possibly whine any louder?

Finally, I bent over and looked into Allison's eyes.

"Allison, Spencer does these things to bug you. When you react, he wins. Quit crying. I'll make him return it when he gets out of the bathroom."

She was not convinced.

"He'll lose it!"

Big deal, I'm thinking. It's probably the cheapest thing that the dollar store sells.

"Well, if he loses it, Allison, I'll make him buy you a new one."

Still, she was not convinced. Because of one small detail.

"Mom, how can you make him buy me a new one? It said it was Made In China!"

Needless to say, we are not planning any trips to China.

The toy has been returned to its rightful owner.

Apologies have been made.

All is forgiven.

Except for maybe the fact that I laughed in my weeping daughter's face. That wasn't a shining moment of motherhood.

1 comment:

Cathy said...

That was hilarious! I laughed til tears came!