Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Fish Update

Late yesterday afternoon I went to the tank to scoop the dead fish into a ziploc so I could tote it to PetSmart for a switcheroo for a live one. However, I couldn't find it anywhere. I even had Spencer and Allison searching. I put the net into the tank to stir up some water, hoping the body would swirl around a bit and I'd see it. Some junk was stirred up, but no fish body.

I looked suspiciously at the mean Molly fishes. They looked guilty. I just knew the little cannibals had eaten that poor dead fish.

Doggone it! Now I had no proof that a fish had died. No floater to redeem for a live one.

I figured I'd scoop out some water, have PetSmart test it to make sure all was well on that end, and plead my case. Surely a well-to-do corporation like PetSmart would take my word for it when I explained. I can't be held responsible for the actions of hungry, vicious Molly fish. Certainly they wouldn't, in effect, insinuate that I'd lie over a fish that cost $1.99.

Actually, that's exactly what they did. No body; No exchange.

I know it's just two bucks, but it's the principle. If I were a liar, I'd go for bigger booty than a stinkin' fish.

I decided to let it go, and to do so quietly, even if a bit grudgingly.

I ended up talking for 20 minutes to a very knowledgeable employee there who said I probably just stocked the tank too quickly. He gave me all kinds of good advice. And he confirmed that Mollys are a cantankerous fish. I just knew it!

The best part?

This morning I was getting ready to feed the fish, and I noticed something stuck to the tube that goes from the tank to the filter, circulating water. It was the body of our dead fish.

Is it wrong to be happy about that?

I like to think it was God's way of rewarding me for hushing my mouth when they told me they wouldn't give me a new fish without my dead fish as proof.

In a few days, I'm going back to PetSmart to buy two red Platy fishes.

They're only $1.49 apiece. And they play well with other fish, too.

2 comments:

~cassie~ said...

Once again, I am laughing out loud. . .You definately have the gift to write humor!!! great fish "tail"

AshNAlMom said...

This kind of thing happened to me once, but it was with hampsters. I will never understand how animals can get their own.
Your posts are so funny you should really think about stand up.
Jayme