Friday, January 11, 2008

Spencer's Big Day

Today was the big day. Spencer has gone a week without his cloth. A bit longer actually, but we needed the party to happen on a Friday and not during the week.

Here's a picture from almost two and a half years ago. It was taken in a hotel in Frankfurt on the night before we flew back home from visiting mom. Clay was five, and Spencer and Allison were turning three the next day.



This is the last picture we have of Clay and his cloth. I'm so glad he's over that, but looking back, he looks so small in this picture. Anyway...

Yesterday in the newspaper I saw that "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything: a Veggie Tales Movie" was playing today. After Clay said he didn't want to see it, I decided to take Spencer and Allison on a Mommy Date this afternoon.

I told Bruce though that I was beside myself with the previews they showed. The first thing that jumped on the screen was a commercial for the season premiere of "Lost". A gun, shots fired and one of the characters saying, "Everyone on this island is going to be killed." Bruce and I watch "Lost", so I've seen the preview before, but not through the eyes of my five year olds. I'd never let them see that show. Not at all appropriate for a preview in front of a G-rated movie.

The other previews were so intense that Allison had that look that I saw all too often at Disneyworld. Terror! She hid her face at one point, both she and Spencer clutched my hand about half way through, and she was almost crying by the end of them.

We don't go to movie theaters often, and my kids very rarely see a PG movie, so I realize they may be a bit more sensitive than your average 5 and 7 year olds. But, come on. This was a Veggie Tales movie!

Once the movie started, we enjoyed it. It was cute. Not a very deep spiritual message though, which I maybe should have expected. If you go, don't leave the first time the credits pop up. There's a great "music video" at the end that is worth the price of admission on its own. My kids were bee-bopping in their seats.

This evening, we met the Moodys at O'Charley's for Spencer's celebratory meal. If you are what you eat, our kids will very shortly turn into mac 'n cheese and hot dogs. Ninety percent of the time we go out to eat, Spencer is all about the hot dogs, and Clay and Allison snarf down mac 'n cheese.

After tearing into chocolate cake for dessert, Spencer admitted it was totally worth giving up his cloth.

As I type this, Allison sits on the couch, sucking her thumb. Poor unsuspecting little thing, having no idea that in just a few short moments, I'll be pulling out my secret weapon. It's called "Hoof: Stop the Bite". A friend from Bible Study Fellowship recommended it to me when I ran into her at Walmart last year. She said she'd used it on her teenage son to break him of biting his nails.

Now, I'd think for a teenager, the name alone would do the trick. Why put anything in your mouth that's called "Hoof"?

It must be just foul tasting. You paint it on like clear fingernail polish. Several months ago, I slicked some on the thumb Allison favors for sucking. I told her it would taste bad, and so she just decided to forego that experience altogether and switched to suck the other thumb. For about a day. And then she woke up from her nap the following day and forgot long enough to pop in her favorite thumb. Well, when she came downstairs to tell me all about it, she was crying and as mad as could be.

Tonight, both thumbs will get a coating of the stuff. With any luck, we'll be eating out again next Friday night.

No comments: