Thursday, January 17, 2008

Winter Wonderland

Bruce's forecast has finally come through. Snow. And a decent amount at that.

We've had a couple "snow day fake-outs", which are so disappointing. And I thought this would be another one. The forecast for snow has been on-and-off-and-on again this week. But Bruce woke me up in Allison's room (She had a nightmare. And she wouldn't let me leave even though I tried twice) before he left for work to tell me that the roads were covered and Clay likely would not have school.

After getting up and discovering that Spencer was in my bed (Also nightmare plagued, so he just took my vacant spot. Musical beds!!), I went downstairs as Bruce was confirming via computer that Sullivan County schools were closed for the day. He left for work, and I went out to get the newspaper. It was already raining lightly so I grabbed the camera and took a couple pictures, in case it was gone before we got out the door again. The sun was just coming up, so it's kind of blue looking.



I wanted to let Clay sleep in, but I was torn. Thankfully, he was up within 10 minutes, we ate breakfast quickly, and then we suited up and headed outside.

I think our dog, Dixie, enjoyed her first real snow. She chased snowballs Clay tossed to her. Here she is during a brief respite from chasing the kids on their sleds.



And some more pictures.







Can you see the little, square snow bricks above? Clay was very ambitious and wanted to build an igloo. I didn't tell him that it was unlikely because not only were those some tiny little bricks (very time consuming to make each one) but also the rain would probably wash the whole thing away before he finished.







Spencer built probably four snowmen in various locations in the yard. We've got a whole village out there!



I took the picture above just in case you might actually be able to tell that we got probably three inches. Notice also the very finely built railings. Courtesy my own personal Mr. Fixit, Bruce, who is still working his way around the porch, dismantling the old rails and putting up new ones.

2 comments:

~cassie~ said...

Love the snow pics. . .My kids have had a blast today. . they have been outside for almost 3 hours. . . I have all of them in the bath tub now, and am making hot chocolate for them. . .Gotta love a good snow day. . .

Nicole said...

awesome pics...i can tell you are using your new camera - aren't you?? it makes such a different having a good camera. hope my email helped you!! ;O)