Friday, August 22, 2008

Cheering and Football

If enthusiasm is anything to judge by, the kids are going to love cheerleading and football. Last night was the second night of cheering practice for Allison and the first night of flag football practice for Clay and Spencer.

Allison cracks me up, because she is so much like me when it comes to coordination. She gets out there and moves her feet OR her arms, but very rarely both at the same time.

She gets frustrated that she's not learning the moves as quickly as she'd like. That comes from me, too.

But, she's having a good time and almost always has a smile on her face.







This is Clay's first year of flag football. Mainly because he's been fearful of the sport up until his younger brother expressed an interest. No amount of prodding from me would get him to try it. But the knowledge that his Little Brother was giving it a whirl... now that's incentive.





If you look closely, you can see the football at the very top of the picture below, coming toward Clay.



He caught it! I've noticed he keeps his eye on the ball much better in football than he did in baseball.





Clay said after practice last night that he wished he'd been playing all along. That's good to hear. At least he'll enjoy this sport and not fuss before every practice, like he did with baseball.

Spencer loves football. That little fireball would be ready for tackle football right now, which would be dangerous for everyone involved. Like a Pomeranian going after a Pit Bull. All gumption, no sense. Not that Spencer is stupid... just that he doesn't know the rules yet.







Spencer also keeps his eye on the ball very well. This picture cracks me up. He's just squatting and waiting for that ball.



You can't see it very well, but Spencer's smile is stretched all over his face. He loved that nobody got his flag.



Spencer would make my dad proud. My dad loves football. He officiates for the sport now, and has for years.

When we were kids, my dad simultaneously watched one football game on television, had the radio tuned to a second game, and read in the newspaper details about a third game. And if we happened to be foolish enough to get rowdy while those football feasts were being enjoyed by Dad, we'd get stuck in a Time Out chair of sorts. A chair that sat in the living room where all the noise from those games was going on, so dad's evil eye could rest upon us quickly if we squirmed.

Let me tell you, I suffered in that chair. I've never been more bored. Not even in my college Government class. And I don't care much for football because of those sessions.

But that was before.

Before my boys played. I just might develop a taste for the sport after this.

I certainly, very nearly, decided to somewhat enjoy baseball when the boys played.

Better get off here. The kids are out of school today and we have running around to do to get last minute things for Spencer and Allison's birthday party tomorrow.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

How sweet those babies are! Oh my goodness! You have totally got your hands full. They are adorable!! Have fun~~

Pierce Family Happenings said...

They look totally precious! We did Upward cheerleading at our church last year and Abigail loved it! How much fun you will have with all 3 of your kiddos playing! Hope school is continuing to go well.