Wednesday, August 6, 2008

We Finally Know

We just got our phone call concerning which teachers Spencer and Allison have.

Spencer has the teacher I have been praying for him to have for three years now. I'm not joking. I've been praying about this woman for three solid years.

She is known for being very structured, and if ever there's a kid who needs structure, it's Spencer. He's busy, smart and mischievous. If there isn't a plan in place, he's probably working his way into trouble. At that point, all you can hope for is that you'll stop the Trouble Train before it gets to warp speed. On the plus side, he's the most affectionate kid I have, so his teacher is sure to get some hugs.

Allison has the one kindergarten teacher who I know nothing about. I've heard they are all great teachers though.

Of our three, Allison is the one who I think will be the best student. (I'm not saying she's any brighter than the boys. She's just more compliant. For others. Not necessarily for me.) She's smart, too, but much more likely than the boys to sit still and do her work without instigating interruptions. But the likelihood of some girl drama coming our way soon is great.

So now this school business begins in earnest for my babies.

Kindergartners in county schools go staggered half days for the next two weeks. The idea is for them to be in class those initial days with only a handful of other students, not the whole class, which might intimidate some kids. And the teachers have fewer kids at the beginning to help carry lunch trays, etc. (My neighbor explained all this to me yesterday. I've been clueless as to why the system is doing this.)

Spencer and Allison both go on Friday and next Wednesday. And then not again until the following Monday, when all kindergartners will be in class together for the first time, for a half day again.

It seems confusing, but isn't once it's marked on the calendar. Still, I'm not sure I'm loving it.

Then again, our kids have had two years of preschool, three years of Bible Study Fellowship and a lifetime of Sunday school. Large group settings don't bother them. And since we held them back, they're pretty self sufficient for kindergartners. They're just ready!

I have to share this, though.

Allison picked out of the crowd one of the kindergarten teachers when we were there for their testing on Monday. This particular teacher is young, blond and very pretty.

And right then and there, Allison decided she must have her as her own. (Just a little obsession here... not quite to full blown Lord of the Rings "my precious" status.)

Monday night as Bruce took his turn to kiss Allison, she told him she wanted Mrs. S to be her teacher. Bruce had no idea who we had met that morning at school, and he asked Allison why she wanted her for a teacher.

"Because she's pretty."

Doesn't that settle everything in the mind of any little girl?

But she reiterated her desires to me yesterday. She was clearly hoping that Mrs. S would be her teacher, strictly based on her beauty.

Just now, when I told them who their teachers were, I saw her little face fall just a bit. Ohhh, the disappointment when we can't have the beauty for which we've longed!

It was time for a distraction, the best tool in a mom's arsenal.

"Hey, you get to eat in the cafeteria on Friday. Let's go see what's on the menu!"

Running in the house ensued. I didn't complain about it.

Three cheers for chicken fillet on a bun.

Evidently it trumps a loss of beauty.

3 comments:

Christina said...

Glad to hear you are happy with the teachers. Even though you don't know the kindergarten one I am sure she will be fine since you heard they are all great.

~cassie~ said...

Nothing like chicken patties to clear your mind of sorrows!!! Hee hee....loved it!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Kindergarten! We have three more weeks and then it's off to Fourth and Second Grade!!!
Smiles - Stacey