Thursday, August 21, 2008

Differing Views

We dropped the kids off at Awanas last night and came home, both Bruce and I on separate missions to get some stuff caught up around the house.

I started on what looked to be about seven loads of laundry. Bruce worked on more of the porch painting.

When I have that much laundry to do, I'm impatient. The dryer takes longer than the washer to run. So when the washer looks to be about finished, I start hanging up the stuff in the dryer, even though it's often still damp.

The wrinkles are worked out by then, keeping me from my all time nemesis: the iron. That's really all I care about.

However, yesterday, I noticed no heat coming from the dryer. No heat = wrinkles.

Not good.

I went to Bruce on the porch and told him I thought our dryer's heating element was out. After I emptied the dryer and hung up all our wet clothes, I took Bruce's paintbrush while he went to dig around in the dryer's innards.

As we swapped, we shared our thoughts on this dilemma. Another example of how differently women and men view things.

I said something along the lines of: "Well, if it's the heating element, Lowe's is open until 9 p.m. Hurry so we can get the part and you can fix that baby and I can get back on track."

He said this: "That's what they make laundromats for."

Laundromats? Surely he jests!

Laundromats are for college students, people who don't have dryers, and housewives who are washing a huge comforter because the household cat has vomited on it. I know this because I've been to laundromats before. As a college student, before I owned a dryer and to clean feline vomit from my comforter.

But now? I'm way past college, I have my own dryer and the cat is dead and gone.

See, I figure he said that the laundromat would solve things nicely because he isn't the one who would sit there, waiting for the clothes to dry. As long as my day is the only one inconvenienced, all is right in Bruceland.

I'm praying that our oven and stove break simultaneously. Soon.

Because, that's what they make restaurants for.

This man/woman stuff is fascinating!

Bruce ordered a new heating element online, because it was half the cost of the one waiting in the warehouse in JC. I have a bit more than a week to do laundry without my dryer.

God bless my in-laws who let me swing a load by their house last night to put in their dryer!

2 comments:

i_am_4given said...

Oh, Girl...I feel for ya!! I was out of a dryer a whole winter a couple of years ago, and there was no way my behind was going to the laundromat with wet drippy clothes. So, hubby set up lines in the basement. But I was very happy when the Lord blessed me with a dryer off of FreeCycle!!! I think that day was right up there with my wedding day and the birth of my boys!! ;)

Blessings,
Ronnie

Anonymous said...

I love your thoughts on why a laundromat exists. I only used it in college and thought those days were long gone until we got our dog who sleeps with us. Now I get the pleasure of taking my comforter to the laundromat when she vomits on it. Except sometimes my mom takes pity on me and does it for me.