Friday, August 1, 2008

Don't Come Knockin'...

...if our house is rockin'.

I just want to warn you that you might not want to make any unscheduled visits to our home any time soon.

Here's how it all began.



I picked up my pre-ordered Third Day Revelation CD earlier this week.

It's good. We like it. Lots!

Late yesterday afternoon, Spencer asked if he could put the CD into the player in the kitchen and listen. I said yes. And when I walked in to start supper a bit later, here's what I found.



And this.



Yes, he was still wearing pj bottoms from the night before at dinner time. School starts on Monday. Don't judge me.

And, yes, Spencer was strumming his storage basket-rubber band guitar with a foam disk shooter. It works for him.

And, yes, I cut the top of his head off in the picture on purpose, because to show more would have been a confession of sorts... my counter top is way cluttered. It's not for public consumption.

We had the best discussion at the dinner table.

Spencer: Mom, do you want to be in my rock band?

I thought he'd never ask.

Me: Oh, you know I do, honey.

Spencer: You can be my lead singer.

Does it get any better?

Me: I'd love that. I've always wanted to be a lead singer in a rock band.

I didn't mention anything about my days as a groupie wannabe for Def Leppard and my huge crush on lead singer Joe Elliott. Test me. I can tell you every word to "Photograph," "Foolin'," "Animal," and "Pour Some Sugar On Me". I even have a video of theirs somewhere, gathering dust. I really need to get rid of that before the kids find it.

Allison: I want to be in your band.

Spencer: You can be the keyboard player.

Allison: I want to sing with mommy.

Me: Keyboardists are back-up singers all the time, Allison.

She smiled brightly.

Allison: What about Clay?

He had already finished his supper and had been excused.

Spencer: He can play drums.

That can't possibly work out well for my ears. But I guess it would be a moot point to have a rock band without drums. Would it be wrong for the lead singer to wear ear plugs?

Me: What about daddy?

Bruce has just a few more classes left before he completes his master's. He was at class and missed this whole planning session.

Allison: He can be the shaker.

Me: The shaker?

Allison stood up to do a hip shaking, arm waving demonstration of someone playing the tambourines. Uh-huh. Somehow I think Bruce will feel like he has been given a raw deal.

We cleaned up the kitchen and turned the CD back on.

I paused in loading the dishwasher to throw in a few head bangin' and air guitar moves. I'm pretty sure I impressed my youngest boy. (Who am I kidding? I impressed myself. I'm not lying prone as an after effect. Hey, if Joe Elliott can still rock at his age, I can, too!)

I bet I can be lead singer and back-up guitarist if I work hard enough.

The boys are drafting out our practice schedule.

Rock on!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, I love this because you were not stiff and reserved. You had fun with your kids! Rock on, mom!

Secondly, hit me with y'alls touring schedule. I would love to be a groupie of the Moody Cuties. :o}

Addicted to Beadz said...

Tanja,

I bet there is never a dull moment at your house! Spenser may not be happy 15 years from now when you show this picture off. But, what great fun!

Blessings!
Cheryl

FlipFlop Mom said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVED THIS!!!

Third Day... you said it.. ROCKS!!!

You guys ROCK!!

Anonymous said...

You are so stinkin funny and I just love you!!!!!!!!!! You will be a great singer and I will be one of the first to stand up in the crowd and light my bic LOL!!!! Rock On You Moody Cuties.

P.S. I loved seeing you this weekend Hve a great week!!!