Monday, August 4, 2008

First Day of School

Big things are happening this week.

Today was the first day of school. Technically.

In actuality, it's really just Clay's first day back. Spencer and Allison took the Brigance screening test this morning, and then we three came back home. (Now we wait to get a phone call on Wednesday to find out who their teachers are. I made the request today to have them in separate classrooms.)

Clay stays a half day today. I'm thrilled with the teacher he has this year, but I've loved all his teachers.

His first grade teacher was very soft spoken and patient, which is just what he needed after being homeschooled for kindergarten and starting in public school as a first grader. His second grade teacher was super loving, a big encourager and lots of fun, which was just what he needed at that point as well.

This year I expect (from what I've heard) that his teacher is a bit more strict. Again, in my opinion... just what he needs. Clay is smart, but right now he'll do best in a setting where he is even more challenged. And not just mentally, but also in what is expected of him socially and emotionally.

Clay woke up this morning on his own. He made his own breakfast, ate, brushed his teeth and got dressed... all before Bruce and I even finished getting ourselves ready for the day. He has been very excited all week and disappointed that his first day back is only a half day.

Spencer was fraught with anxiety last night as we tucked him in. He said, "But mommy. You haven't taught me to read yet!" I assured him that his teacher would work with him this year on that and that he really was absolutely ready and smart enough for kindergarten.

Allison, who I expect to be the most clingy on the actual day I drop them off for the first time, had no qualms last night.

Still, around 3 a.m. she came into our bedroom after having a nightmare. I crawled in her bed with her and we fell back asleep. Around 5 a.m. I went back to my bed.

At 5:05 a.m. Spencer came into our bedroom. Nightmare. He crawled into bed with us and we fell back asleep.

Despite the rough night, both of them got up on their own and got themselves ready as well. I have no idea what any of them ate for breakfast, but they assured me they were full.

I'm sure this excitement won't last forever. Maybe not even through next week. But it sure does make Back-To-School easier when they smile as they leave your nest.

I snapped this picture as we left the house.



I know Clay isn't very dressed up, but I let him pick what shirt to wear and he felt best about his Disney Rockin' Roller Coaster shirt. It's an effort these days to get him to wear anything but a t-shirt. I make him wear Polos to church, but it's just not worth the fuss before school.

Polos on Sundays are his cross to bear. It's good for him to suffer a bit for Jesus. (I'm being tongue-in-cheek here. He understands that Jesus loves him in his grubbiest clothes and that he has no need to impress the Lord with his clothing choice.)

3 comments:

Pierce Family Happenings said...

How precious they are! What beautiful children! Love the "first day of school" wardrobe choices. We are still deciding here what it is going to be. :) Our screening is Wed. at 9 and then we find out Thurs who our teacher is. Your children are so independent! We are working on that! It is a challenge for both of us! :) I'm glad that Clay is happy with his teacher-is it Mrs. C? She is a friend of mine!
Anne

Melanie said...

What a great picture of the kids!

We don't start school until the 25th, but already getting a bit excited. My oldest starts 1st grade and is very excited right now. I suspect once the homework starts, that will drop off just a bit. :)

Have a great first week of school!

Nicole said...

Hey I meant to tell you that I FINALLY received proofs of MY family in the mail. We still have to call OM and tell them which one we want for our freebie. It's sad that the directories came out before all of this got straightened out!!!!

How is it going with yours???