Thursday, August 7, 2008

What a Girl Wants

Bruce has plans this weekend to do some Man Time with Clay and Spencer, while Allison and I get a Mommy date.

I'm not sure of the details of my plans with Allison, but we'll probably have a meal at some place girly. A place where Bruce and the boys would groan if they had to go. I have a couple of neat spots in mind.

Then I'm thinking we're going to hit a local candy store called YaYa's. Because Allison and I both have a sweet tooth bigger than the day is long. And any place that houses sugar and is called YaYa's has to be good, right?

We'll also probably rent some kind of chick flick. An age appropriate chick flick. Barbie will likely be the star. (Allison likes Barbie's clothes. I like that Barbie never kisses her Prince Charming. Only hugs. That does a mom's heart good. The music's not bad either.)

The one thing I knew for certain was that I would be painting Allison's fingernails.

However, I don't paint my fingernails. Toes either. It's just not me.

So there's a real scarcity of nail polish around our home. Oh, I have the requisite clear nail polish. For stopping runs on pantyhose. But how exciting do you think clear polish would be to a five-year-old?

No thrill to be had there.

In the back of my mind, I was certain I had purchased fingernail polish in a cute pink color months ago. But I have scoured the house and it is not to be found.

And I can't even find the red color I painted Allison's nails once years ago. (I know it's sad how infrequently the poor child gets her nails done. One day she'll probably spend way too much money on manicures and her husband will blame me.)

I figured I'd buy some polish when I go to Wal-mart tomorrow while all the kids are in school.

But I didn't have to wait after all.

Today, Clay rode the school bus home with his buddy Nathan. They had plans to play at Nathan's house for a few hours. Those plans made Clay immensely happy, considering he wouldn't have to share Nathan with Spencer, which is what happens when Nathan comes here to play.

Clay and Nathan are not in class together this year. But all through summer we moms have kept those boys in touch. Between both their birthday parties and a few play dates, Clay and Nathan have developed a nice friendship. And we moms have as well. A surprise blessing.

I drove over to pick up Clay shortly before dinner tonight. When I told Valerie the plans for Girl Time in our house this weekend, she said, "Oh, I can give you some nail polish."

And she did. In a color picked out by Nathan's sister, Jordan. A cute pink color. (Jordan starts kindergarten tomorrow as well, but isn't in class with either Allison or Spencer.)

This evening after I stuffed all the backpacks with school supplies, Allison and I decided, "Why wait?"

And now...

...now Allison is really ready for school.




I told you it was a cute pink!

2 comments:

i_am_4given said...

AWWWWW...How sweet!!! And that is such a cute color on her..but I think her cuteness adds something to it..hehe


Blessings,
Ronnie

~cassie~ said...

Love that face!! Hope you guys have a wonderful "girls weekend"...Nothing like some good mother daughter time....