Thursday, November 20, 2008

Being Thankful

In honor of the Thanksgiving holiday next week, I have a couple of recent conversations on thankfulness to share.

The first was actually a suppertime prayer from Spencer. While Clay and Allison have to be coaxed to come up with something other than rote prayers, Spencer is wonderful about praying very naturally. He talks to God as if he can see Him sitting right next to him.

The other evening he slipped this statement into his prayer: "God, thank you that my mom signed me up for school. So I can learn."

Yeah. I signed him up for school. Just like I sign him up for sports or something. It's not like I'm following any laws or anything.

I like that he thinks it's a privilege to go to school, which it is for some kids in parts of the world. Spencer is simply thankful to be learning. Ahhh, kindergarten is so great.

The next thankful expression originated with me.

Something is clicking with my littlest guy. Not a moment too soon, either. This past week, he has taken our talks to heart and has been working on accepting responsibility for his actions and exhibiting self control.

The other day was a wonderful day. Spencer and I didn't butt heads even once. If I pointed out that he was doing something he wasn't allowed to do, he immediately stopped, most often first saying, "Yes, ma'am." (It's always a little freaky to me when he kicks into this mode. I can't help it. I'm suspicious. But he's always sincere when he says it.)

Oh, I was basking in motherhood, let me tell you. The day was just that good. I decided my boy needed some praise.

"Spencer," I said, "I just want to thank you for being so good today. I can tell you are really working on the things we've talked about in the last week or so. I'm proud of you and I appreciate your efforts."

And he said to me, "I did it so I can get lots of presents."

As in Christmas presents. Because the Toys R Us catalog was delivered last week. We received one in the mail, another came wrapped within the newspaper, and a third copy was donated by Bruce's parents. Each kid has had their own catalog and has marked their copy accordingly.

Well, I wasn't thrilled with his motivation for good behavior. I had a better idea.

"Spencer," I said, "why not behave just because you love mom?"

He budged closer to my way of thinking, but not by much.

"Well, I did it because of that, too... and also because I love Jesus and Santa."

Alrighty then!

No comments: