Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Good Doctor

Sometimes, you just need to brag on someone. Even if they'll never know you bragged on them.

This past week I had my one-week follow-up appointment post LASIK surgery. My vision has improved even more since the day-after appointment. Now I'm seeing 20/15, which is just a miracle, really.

I'd been pondering ever since the surgery what to write in a thank-you note to my surgeon. I wanted to give the man credit for easing my nerves. And the staff members who were there that day each did their part, too. But I never forget that the Lord is the One who gifted that surgeon. And He's the One who put that staff together, too.

I sat down and spent probably 15 minutes writing a note that I was satisfied with, and then I put it in the mailbox for my mail carrier to pick up.

The same day my note went out, when I picked up what had been delivered to our mailbox, I noticed an envelope addressed to me from Woolfson Eye Institute. I opened it and was floored.

No, it wasn't a refund of any kind, which would have been nice, even though I believe that the surgery was worth every penny we paid for it. (Don't ask my frugal hubby about that, because I'm not sure he'd agree... he'll agree once he has the surgery... you just wait and see!)

I was surprised because my surgeon had written a personal note to me. To thank me for trusting him with my eyes.

Can you believe that? When was the last time a doctor wrote you a thank-you note?

I am no stranger to doctors. In the last few years, I've seen at least seven kinds of doctors annually - dentist, optometrist, dermatologist, OB/GYN, primary care physician, pediatrician, endocrinologist. At one point, I was also seeing a nephrologist, but my primary care doc manages that issue now.

I've also been to a physical therapist, although, I'm not sure they are technically doctors. Throw in an allergist and a radiologist and that about covers my health care woes in the last decade.

Not one of them has ever written me a note. A bill? Yes. A note? No.

Before I go on, I must say, I've been extraordinarily blessed with great physicians. They are good at their jobs, and they are patient. (I've been known to arrive with a sheet of paper filled with questions.) I even know several of them well enough to know they are Christians, which is an added bonus... first just because they know Jesus, but second because it's even come up and I know that they know Jesus.

I'm not trying to take away from any of my other doctors. I recommend them highly. Often. (So if you're local and need a doctor in any of the above fields, call me.)

Despite all that, above-and-beyond is always going to be above-and-beyond.

By my calculations, based off of what I was told from an office worker in the Asheville branch of Woolfson Eye Institute, Dr. Jonathan Woolfson probably does about 10 surgeries a day. Roughly 50 a week.

I assume he's writing 50 thank-you notes a week.

That's just cool. He certainly doesn't have to do that. I'm sure being gracious is not a subject taught in medical school.

Sometimes, you just need to brag on someone. Even if they'll never know you bragged on them.

No comments: