Friday, November 28, 2008

Sharing Jesus

Back in October, we made our final camping trip of the year to Fall Creek Falls in middle Tennessee.

It was a cold, rainy, miserable weekend. I had just had the LASIK surgery and I was highly paranoid about damaging my eyes. In short, I was a big baby.

Despite all that, our kids had a blast. They were filthy nearly all day, every day, from playing in mud, fallen leaves and ashes from the fire pit.

The biggest reason they had such a good time was because we met another family who had kids very close in age to our kids. Ironically, their oldest child was a boy named Clay, just like in our family. Then they had another son named Carter who was close to Spencer and Allison's age. (They also had a little girl named Chloe, but she didn't play much with the big kids.)

Those kids had a blast. They built a couple of forts in the woods behind our camper. They rode bikes in the cul-de-sac section of the campground where we were. And they made s'mores together.

At the end of our weekend, we swapped regular mail and e-mail addresses.

We were hardly in the house five minutes after returning from our trip before Clay wanted to write Clay a note. When my boy had the letter finished, I asked him if I could read it before sealing the envelope. He said I could, and I'm so glad I did.

He told his new friend what a good time he had camping with them. Clay also challenged him to an art contest by asking him to draw his best house "and scenery" and then mailing it back to him, so that I can impartially judge which drawing is best. (Be real. I'm mom. Nobody ever said anything about needing to be impartial!)

But the best part was when our Clay wrote this:

"Clay, I forgot to ask you when we were together, but do you have Jesus in your heart? If you don't, you should. It's great."

It took awhile to get a reply in the mail, but it came last week.

The Camping Clay wrote back to our Clay about what a good time he had camping and that he hoped we could camp together again some time. And then he wrote, "P.S. I love God."

Now, why can't it be that simple for us to share Christ?

1 comment:

Christina said...

If only. What a wonderful thing these two boys shared.