Monday, April 6, 2009

Being Baptized

Spencer has decided he wants to be baptized.

He came up to me yesterday while I was baking cookies for a church fellowship and whispered: "Mom, I think God is telling me to be baptized."

I said, "He is? Well, we'll talk about it some more."

Then he went to tell Bruce. And they did talk for awhile.

Spencer does not "get it" yet. But he asking good questions, like Clay did before he asked Jesus into his heart.

The difference is that Spencer is getting info from a big brother, whereas Clay did not.

Spencer thinks you have to be baptized to be saved. Well, he did, until we told him otherwise. He also thinks there are magic words that need to be said... thanks to Clay.

Anyway, I did mention all this to our preacher last night and asked if he'd be willing to talk with Spencer if I brought him by his office sometime soon.

So that's what we're going to do. I'll probably pull him out of school early one afternoon this week.

Say a prayer for Spencer.

And for me. Of course, as a mom, I would love to know another one of our children is taking that step.

But I also struggle with it happening to one so young, because that's not how it was for me.

And I think I particularly struggle with this knowing it is Spencer this time. Because he is so often the one who is a challenge. And I don't want to be... judgmental.

I don't want to think that he'll become this perfect, easy child just because he claims Jesus. I know that's not realistic, because I'm not a perfect, easy child, even though I'm certainly saved.

But what a thing of beauty it would be if a change were evident.

This Christian mommy stuff is hard.

No comments: