Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I Hate This Stage

Third grade love doesn't last.

But somehow, it's much more painful to watch my child go through rejection than it was to experience it myself.

Clay's first statement to me today once off the school bus was, "I had a terrible day. I'm upset."

When I had a chance to sit with him and talk privately, he said that his friend, D., who also likes his crush, A., asked A. which of the boys she liked better. She picked D.

Frankly, I question her taste.

Anyway...

I told my sweet oldest child that I was sorry to hear about it because I know it hurts. His eyes teared up and I asked if he needed to cry about it.

He said no. I hate that. More proof that he's growing up. (Just last week I was belatedly mourning the loss of watching such shows as "Blues Clues" with the kids. Evidently, that show is "just for babies". Or so I've been told. Who knew?)

I thought I might lighten the sadness for Clay and said, "Well, I hate to tell you, but this is only the first time. It's going to happen again. And it's going to stink then, too. But, it's not like you could really 'date' because you don't have a license or a car to drive anywhere. And it's not like you could get married, because you're a little young for that."

He smiled. A bit.

I told him about a friend at church who his daddy liked for a bit, but she liked somebody else. Then she liked Bruce and he liked somebody else.

"And they never dated, Clay," I said. "But they're still friends. Do you think you can still be friends with both A. and D.?"

He said he could. And I said I was glad.

Then he said another friend of his made him feel a little bit better. I asked how.

"He told me I was a close second."

I did NOT laugh right then. I laughed later. I can't say that would have made me feel better, but I'm not a third grade boy, either.

I pointed out to Clay that school is almost over and he likely wouldn't see A. all summer anyway. And next year, she might not even be in his class.

But maybe some other cute little girl would be. And maybe she'd like Clay better than chocolate chip cookies.

"Wouldn't that be great?" I asked.

And he replied, "If you like chocolate chip cookies, I guess."

I did laugh then.

I hate this stage for him. It really does stink.

No comments: