Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Wonderful, Merciful Savior

Bruce just called me on my cell as I was running errands around town to inform me that his employer is hacking salaries.

When he called, I thought it was to tell me he'd been laid off. There are no rumors where he works yet, but we've been there before. And it's likely we'll be there again if the economy doesn't improve soon.

Lay-offs are on my heart right now because our town is rife with them. And where we live just isn't large enough that you can avoid feeling the pain of the job losses, whether it hits your family personally or a friend's.

Bruce's pay cut is substantial. It's going to make a difference to our family. We're going to need to tighten our financial belt, and I'm not even sure where.

But I don't feel the floor dropping out from under me. After we talked for a few minutes, I told Bruce, "You know, it's bad. But it's not the worst. We're going to be fine. I'm just thankful..."

Yes, thankful. Because we have been guided by the Lord this year in some financial decisions that now make sense. Situations that have clearly been labeled with a "no" answer from God. Even if I didn't like hearing it.

Should we purchase that house with the great price tag because it's in foreclosure? No. Can we buy some land and make plans to build then? No.

Should we visit Mom in Germany on our annual vacation? No. How about Disneyworld again, God? No.

Oh, I know, I know. Maybe it's time to trade in our van for a newer model? No. Awww, c'mon! A flat screen TV then? No. A new couch to replace the one the kids have made nearly threadbare? No.

I hung up the phone. And I fished out of the van console a CD of praise anthems from choir a few years ago. I knew just the song I was looking for.



"Almighty, infinite Father, faithfully loving Your own.
Here in our weakness You find us falling before Your throne."

He's wonderful. He's merciful.

And He's faithful. Always has been. Always will be.

I'm counting on it.

No comments: