Monday, April 27, 2009

Don't Worry... Taste and See

I've got that yucky feeling in the pit of my belly.

It's stress.

I have four more weeks of Bible Study Fellowship, each Tuesday and Wednesday morning. I spend a few hours each Monday making phone calls to the ladies in my group to check on them. (I should be doing that right now!) I also plan to go one Thursday morning soon for the seminar "Resources for Study and Serving".

End-of-the-school-year activities? Help the kids memorize their last Awanas verses, have the younger two prepared for their last field trip, volunteer to help the kindergartners during the school Walk-a-Thon, help Spencer and Allison memorize their lines for the kindergarten program, organize parental involvement for Allison's end-of-the-year class party and send snacks for the boys' parties.

We have three more weeks of soccer practice each Monday evening and games on Saturday mornings. I'd love to skip out on that and give it over to Daddy Duty, but Bruce is coaching the younger two and Clay's team plays on a field that's the furthest away. We aren't comfortable just leaving him out of sight, so I go and cheer Clay on.

I need to prepare for leading the "Esther" study at church, starting on May 12. I didn't want it to overlap with BSF at all, but it's a 10-week study and we needed to start early enough so that we'd be finished once school starts back in the fall.

I've got some preparatory things to do for Vacation Bible School, which starts at our church the Sunday after school lets out. I need to visit Lifeway again to buy more books for the "Esther" study and to pick up more supplies for VBS. I have to give lesson plans to the other two second grade VBS teachers that I'm working with. I need to study the two lessons I'm responsible for.

Somewhere in there we're going to have Clay's ninth birthday party. I've got to get to Office Depot and see about printing up some invitations. Soon. I am not a party planner. We're going to scale back as much as I think we can this year. Lots of kids, little effort. Pizza, cake, snacks... and then I'm cutting them all loose in the yard to play. I think Clay wants a sleepover, too, so I guess I'll even have to clean house real good before I let them destroy it a bit.

I need to reserve a camp site somewhere, as yet to be determined, for our family vacation. We thought we'd do a loop up north, but we've decided against it. Bruce and I are not agreeing about plans, so we haven't made any yet. He still wants to do a big 7-day thing. I'd like to tone it way back - stay closer to home and not plan as long a stay so we can reserve the money we've saved for vacation to bridge this time while Bruce's pay cut might pinch.

It's a lot.

When I look at the calendar each night to see what the next day holds to make sure I don't drop the ball somewhere and leave a child feeling neglected or a husband overlooked... well, I just want a nap.

But this is my family. My biggest blessings next to Jesus.

I've got it good. Really good.

I just need to remember to look ahead only one day!

Matthew 6:34
"Therefore don't worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Our church choir sang this on Sunday morning. It has meant a lot to me, in the thick of this stressful, but blessed, time.



We weren't as colorful in our rendition. We don't have the robes for one thing... and we don't have the rhythm for another. Well, I don't anyway.

He is good. And I never have to worry, never have to fret.

1 comment:

Brian E. Sharp said...

Well, now you know where I get it! I love the Chicago Mass Choir. When I was at ETSU they actually let me sit in with the Gospel Choir and play bass with them a bit. I think I was born in the wrong culture. I'd love to have a choir that does that kind of music ALL the time!

And yeah, we're a bunch of crackers with no rhythm (sigh)