Wednesday, June 11, 2008

God and Baseball

I have to share something that was sent to me by my good friend Kim. I have no idea who the author is, but if you do, please pass their name on to me so I can give them credit.

But first.

My dad has always told me that God was a baseball fan... because in Genesis 1:1 it says, "In the big inning..." Yeah, my dad's a funny guy.

I have had a love-hate relationship with baseball this season. Both our boys have played at this time in our family life when Bruce has been less available to be at games because of school.

Last night, Bruce got his turn. And his turn turned out to be a bit worse than most of my turns (but still cannot hold a candle to the mud incident!). I probably shouldn't, but I giggle a little when I think about Bruce's evening.

I needed to be at the church for the Beth Moore Bible study group (it went so well, by the way!) by 6 p.m.... a half hour ahead of when class was to start. Spencer's game was also set to start at 6 p.m. at a ballfield about a half hour from church. We worked all the details out, and I met Bruce at the fields at 5:30 p.m. where we traded out the kids, who had already been fed. I went on my way.

Bruce got home at 9 p.m. And that's when he finally got to eat supper.

Because the game got halted for several rain delays.

Yes, I am smiling as I type that. I do so love Bruce, but sometimes it makes me a tad happy that he experiences difficulties when in a sole-parent situation. Because I experience those kinds of difficulties at least weekly... and it used to be nearly daily, when the kids were younger!

When I called Bruce after the study and he told me about the game, his exact words were: "Thank God his team didn't win; otherwise he'd have had another game tomorrow!"

Is it any wonder our boys are not on the fast track to baseball superstardom?

Anyway, this baseball illustration is all good.


THE LORD'S BASEBALL GAME

Freddy and the Lord stood by to observe a baseball game. The Lord's team was playing Satan's team.

The Lord's team was at bat, the score was tied zero to zero, and it was the bottom of the 9th inning with two outs. They continued to watch as a batter stepped up to the plate named Love.

Love swung at the first pitch and hit a single, because "Love never fails."

The next batter was named Faith, who also got a single because Faith works with Love.

The next batter up was named Godly Wisdom. Satan wound up and threw the first pitch.

Godly Wisdom looked it over and let it pass: Ball one. Three more pitches and Godly Wisdom walked because he never swings at what Satan throws.

The bases were now loaded. The Lord then turned to Freddy and told him He was now
going to bring in His star player. Up to the plate stepped Grace.

Freddy said, "He sure doesn't look like much!"

Satan's whole team relaxed when they saw Grace. Thinking he had won the game, Satan wound up and fired his first pitch. To the shock of everyone, Grace hit the ball harder than anyone had ever seen!

But Satan was not worried; his center fielder let very few get by. He went up for the ball, but it went right through his glove, hit him on the head and sent him crashing on the ground.

The roaring crowds went wild as the ball continued over the fence... for a home run!

The Lord's team won!

The Lord then asked Freddy if he knew why Love, Faith and Godly Wisdom could get on base but couldn't win the game. Freddy answered that he didn't know why.

The Lord explained, "If your love, faith and wisdom had won the game, you would think you had done it by yourself. Love, Faith and Wisdom will get you on base but only My Grace can get you Home."


"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast." Ephesians 2:8-9

"For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless." Psalm 84:11

3 comments:

~cassie~ said...

That is an awesome devotion...baseball comparison....We are in baseball overload with James coaching 3 teams....but I have seen God's hand in a number of things we have been faced with during the past couple of weeks...I have blogged about a couple of them...

I enjoyed class last night...Thanks so much for teaching...I am looking forward to growing closer to my God...=)

Cheryl said...

Wonderful post Tonja! I can totally relate to the rough days when both kids played sports. Running from one place to the next. Trying to see it all. There were times that I did not know if I was coming or going. Brings back memories for me. Thanks for the devotion. I'm still excited that I won the books! Have a good week girlfriend!

FlipFlop Mom said...

Girllllllllll this so reminds me of the Geoff Moore and the distance song.... Home Run (don't mind the oohh'sss.. remember late 80's here.. LOL LOL)

Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and welcome to the Dan Brock Memorial Stadium
Are you ready for an afternoon of baseball?
I hope you are
Because it's Geoff Moore and The Distance,
Going up against the big guy,The Prince of Darkness(Darkness)
It's been quiet on evolution with Geoff Moore and The Distance
That's why it's brought them to the game today
So I want you to kick back and enjoy a funfilled afternoon of Baseball(Baseball)
The teams are assembled
Are you ready?

PLAY BALL!!

The lights go on, another game day
I grabbed my bat, and headed for the plate
but the first pitch was a curve, and I was done!

(umpire) STRIKE ONE!

I stepped out of the box, looked the pitcher in the eye
you could read his lips, hey punk you're mine.
So I gave him a wink and said, "let's see what you can do"

(umpire) STRIKE TWO!

Gotta keep my eye on the ball, swing straight and true and follow through.
Don't be afraid, what-ever the call!
Because we're never alone, our coach is there to cheer us on.
well, it's the wind-up,
here comes that ball,
You gotta pray and swing, watch it till, it's goin, goin, it's gone!

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, we need a home run

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, we need a home run!

you know life can be like a baseball game,
We're on the same team, but were not all the same.
That's why we've got to learn to play together.

I didn't join this team to sit on the bench,
I'm goin deep, swingin for the fence.
I got some friends on base, I gotta get home!

Gotta keep your eye on the ball
swing straight and true, and follow through.
Don't be afraid, what-ever the call.
Because we're never alone,
Our coach is there to cheer us on.

Well it's the wind-up,
Here comes that ball,
You gotta pray and swing,
Watch it till it's goin goin, it's gone!

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, home run!
i want a home run

ho, ohho, ohh, oh,
ho, ohho, ohh, oh,
ho, ohho, i want a home run!

We are not the first to play this game,
or stand over this plate.
We are surrounded by the legacy.
I can see them in the stands,
I can see them wavin their hands.
sayin, "go, go all the way!"

(umpire) it's goin, it's going it's going,
Oh my!
it's outta here!
that baby is gone (gone)

Come on now,

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, home run

Hey it's gone,gone now

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, home run

Hey it's a homerun

oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, oh,
oh, ohho, ohh, home run