Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Good Week

Last week held a few nice surprises for us.

Clay lost his Nintendo DS a few weeks ago (That's not the good part. You have to be patient. I'll get there). But I didn't know it was lost when I told my in-laws that he'd enjoy the Lego Star Wars DS game, which they then bought for him for his birthday.

So early in the week, I looked all over the house and our vehicles for that DS. Inside underwear drawers, under car seats, inside kitchen cabinets (thinking that a fit had been thrown during play time and I had confiscated it), under beds, inside toy boxes, behind bookshelves, all around the van and truck floor boards, inside the fridge (Not really. Just checking your pulse.).

I told my mother-in-law it was going to kill Clay to get the gift and not be able to play it. And worse... Bruce didn't want to replace the DS if it wasn't found. He's all about the Wii now (which I seriously hate. Really. It causes more fights in the house than sharing candy does.).

The night before Clay's actual birthday, Bruce finally found it. In the storage pocket on the back side of the passenger seat in the van. In front of the seat that Clay typically sits in.

Woo-hoo!

Last week, we also replaced our lost/damaged point-and-shoot digital camera. The one that I use. The new one shipped to us on Wednesday.

And the absolute best part is that it is so similar to the one we previously had that I won't need a three-week lesson to learn how to use it.

Normally, any time we upgrade any piece of technology in our home, it takes me a long time to learn how to operate the new item. That learning curve time drives me nuts. And, in turn, I drive Bruce nuts complaining with such common sense statements as: Why do we always need new stuff? Why can't we just keep the old stuff? I like the old stuff. I can work the old stuff. I don't care that only one button on the remote of the old item still works while all the others died long ago. I'm comfortable with my understanding of that one button.

I am very happy with the new camera.

Of course, I haven't actually used it yet. So that may change.

Spencer's t-ball team is playing tournaments. I don't even really get the significance of that, if there is one. I thought his last game fell during VBS week and that he'd missed it. But then I got a call from his coach's wife saying there was a game on Saturday.

Whew Doggies, it was hot Saturday! I even broke down and bought my very first item from the concession stand. I forgot to bring a bottle of water, so I went back to the van and scrounged for change to buy an iced tea. Best stinkin' iced tea I've ever had in my entire life. I'm sure that's no exaggeration.

And there is absolutely no shade near the field Spencer was playing on. But there was the strategically placed score board for the field next to us. Saturday, I was very glad that I'm not a larger person than I am... because I just barely fit in the slim little bit of shade provided by that sign. I was grateful for that sign.

And my little guy scored a home run!

He is so funny. Spencer can run like lightning, but you'd never have known it watching him during that game. He might have come close to a slight jog, but that was it. It could have been the heat, though.

Still, he did it. And he was super pleased with himself, because at one point someone from the other team tried to tag him out, but they missed. That made the whole home run "way cooler" in Spencer' mind.

Clay chose to miss his very last game on Saturday, in favor of attending his buddy Nathan's birthday party, which was at the same time as his game. He had a good time, and that's all that matters to me.

Do you ever buy a gift for someone you love because you know you like the gift? So if they hate it, guess who gets it? I do it all the time.

I got this CD for Clay of a group I don't typically listen to. But it was recommended to me by a blogging buddy (Thanks Flip Flop Mom).

The group is called Stellar Kart, and it has more of a punk band sound to it than I normally go for. But when I went online to hear snippets of it, Clay was hovering around, listening, and liked it. I loved the lyrics. I bought the CD the next day and had it waiting for his birthday.

Both my boys love it! They are air guitar rockin' fiends when I play it.

And I love it, too! I haven't exercised in two weeks. But on Clay's birthday, I popped that CD in and hopped on the treadmill. The time went by so much faster.

Here's one of my favorite songs off the album. This video cracks me up. A little 80s flashback.



Innocent by Stellar Kart
I'm overdressed for success
In a world that has no shame
I've had enough of seeing love
Being played like some game

I know why the good old days are gone
Cause everyone just tolerates what's wrong
I'm not some empty space for rent

I wanna be innocent
Yours wholeheartedly
Innocent
Every part of me
Take me back so I can see
The way that love was meant to be

Boys and girls
The real world
Is one that's filled with consequence
And all the lies that glamorize
It's a life that's broken

I see why the good old days are gone
Every time I turn my tv on
What's wrong with being different

Buried underneath this avalanche
You are my hope and second chance
Don't let my heart get away

No comments: