Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thankful Thursday - VBS, Part 2




As promoted in last week's Thankful Thursday, this week I am grateful that Vacation Bible School is nearly over. Tonight is the last evening of teaching for the kids; tomorrow is our celebration night, when all the parents are invited to come hear the kids perform the music they've learned.

It has been a great week. One not without a few bumps though.

On the first night of VBS, another little boy hit Spencer and told him he wasn't going to be his friend anymore. A third little fella spoke up and told the boy who hit Spencer to stop, which was sweet. Still, my boy came home and cried for about a half hour before I could sidetrack him with talk of a pizza business that he and I could go into (we made up some really interesting pizza flavors. I can't reveal them though. Just in case Spencer decides to go through with the ideas and become a bajillionairre one day.)

Pizza Place

I'm thankful that Spencer did not hit back, which he has never done with anyone except his siblings. But the possibility is there, and I was proud of him for showing some self control.

I'm also thankful that, after speaking with the boy's mom (who is a friend), no huge deal was made out of it. Spencer wrote him a note (with some assistance from big brother, who can actually read and write) and the young boys worked it out. No more problems for the rest of VBS.

And then there was the fact that this year I was teaching in Clay's class, which I've always said I would never do.

You know how if you have a pimple, the size of it always looks way HUGER on your face than it would if you saw it on someone else's face? My children are not blemishes (perhaps this is not the best example, but it's all I'm coming up with at the moment.). However, Clay was a little bit boisterous the first two nights of VBS. Maybe I noticed it more because he's my boy (see, that's where the point is made). In any case, the night before I was to teach the evangelistic message, I had a talk with Clay.

It went something like this: "Tomorrow is my day to teach. It's an important message. There are probably kids in there who don't know Jesus. I need your best behavior so I can keep my focus on the Lord and His word and not your behavior."

He was so great. I looked up at one point and he had his face all screwed up into a scowl. He was mad at me for not picking him to answer a question, but he didn't say anything or draw attention to himself.

At the end of the night, on the way to the van, he asked me if he had done better. I could have just kissed him I was so proud of him. Well, I did kiss him. But not right there in the parking lot. (Because he is going to be in third grade soon. PDA from mom ceased being acceptable for him around first grade. He's promised me that kisses and hugs at home are always going to be good. I'm going to hold him to it!)

Now, off of the personal for a minute. This year's group of second graders was wonderful. All great kids. Well-behaved. Smart as all get out. And just fun to be around.

And despite the fact that our church gym had no air conditioning all week, there were no cases of heat exhaustion. The kids were in there for snacks and for craft time. And the workers were in there the whole night. It was uncomfortable, to be sure, but everything still pointed to God's glory. And that's the best we can ask for, with or without AC.


And I have to add this bit, which is totally unrelated to VBS. But I am still so thankful. My husband received a patent on something he invented through work. You can go here and see it.

I don't understand all that stuff written on the patent. I just know it made Bruce feel good. And I'm thankful the Lord gave him that.

19 comments:

Denise said...

This was a sweet post, you are such a great mom.

Unknown said...

Tanja,

Wow, what a great post. I just want to hug and squeeze your little guy for making such an effort to please you. I loved VBS. Glad it was a success. Have a great Thursday.

Pierce Family Happenings said...

What a wonderful post! How sweet your kids are! I love VBS too! I'm glad you guys are having such a good week. I'm kind of sad to see it end (even though it is tiring in some ways). :) I know what you mean about being harder on our own children when we are working with them-for the 20 minutes that I am leading music in Abigail's class, I feel like I have my eyes right on her. ;)
Hope your VBS wraps up smoothly!
love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

God bless you dear sister; It was a wonderful and uplifting post!!

Ann said...

Congrats on a great week at VBS! It's always toughest teaching your own kid's class...

Susan said...

So blessed your VBS went so well. Sorry about the incident, you handled it so well!

You're a great mom.

Hope you have a blessed weekend♥

Addicted to Beadz said...

Tanja,

VBS, such fun. But by the end of the week always ready for it to be over.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl

Marsha said...

Ahh the joys of children and VBS!! It's such a wonderful ministry and something that our children take with them forever.

Keep up the good work, Mom and wife. This is your season of family first. You can do it!

Christina said...

Wow you have VBS early. We don't have it until July. Glad to hear your's went well but it does sound like it takes a lot of work. I don't think I could have my kid in my class but it is nice to know that Clay behaved so you could get the message you had out. What a great kid.

eph2810 said...

How awesome that you had a great time at VBS. I know it is a lot of work, but I think it is so worth to share the love of Christ with children. Cool that your two sons were such a great example at VBS.
Congratulations on your husband's invention - that is so cool!

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us.

Blessings to you and your precious family.

Laurie Ann said...

Spencer sounds like a great kid! You're very blessed to have a son like him. God bless you for your precious post. So much to be thankful for.

Beth K. Vogt said...

And thank you for being one of the VBS teachers! You made a difference in those childrens' lives this week.

Tracy said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing that. Wow...great kids, successful VBS, smart hubby and obviously a special Mom. = )

Blessings,
Tracy

Darlene said...

VBS is so great ...can't wait for it to get here and can't wait for it to end. LOL We have just one more day and then it is off to planning Kids Kamp!
Glad VBS was great and that Spencer handled things so good.

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful Mom you are! You have lots of love to give. Great post Tonja! Hope you are having a great thankful Thursday!! Did I tell you that I received your books?? Well, I did and I am planning to start reading them this weekend!! Thanks a bunch!

Anonymous said...

Nice post good job...Thanks for sharing this. Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

I always love reading your TTs...I get carried away! You are fantastic and I'm glad VBS was a success.

bp said...

Praise God for a wonderful week at VBS. I enjoyed reading the talk you had with your son and his reaction to that.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your story about VBS and the kids - your kids. So sweet. And congrats to your husband re patent.