Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thankful Thursday - No Medication




Sometimes I realize things in a delayed fashion.

It hit me the other day that I haven't given Clay any allergy medication since a bit before school let out.

"No big deal," you think? He has seasonal allergies, so you surmise that the seasonal items that irritate him have simply passed by?

Perhaps.

However, last year symptoms from his "seasonal" allergies required him to be on medication from March through September.

You guess it's just a down year for allergens?

Maybe.

But Clay and I prayed together... a bunch... over his allergies. We asked God to please lessen his symptoms so that one day Clay will simply outgrow the allergies and not need medication at all anymore.

Today, I'm claiming this season as a time of God's answered prayers. And I am thankful.

Clay's allergies are minimal compared to what some folks go through. I realize that.

Normally, his nose runs constantly. And while he blows it regularly with a tissue, sometimes he doesn't and the gunk gathers just enough to tickle the edge of a nostril. He then picks at it. A lot. And eventually he has a bloody little scab at the tip of his nose. A scab that I spend months trying to heal with liberal doses of triple antibiotic ointment swabbed at the site.

His throat itches so intensely that by the end of the day, when his dose of Claritin is wearing off, he starts "scratching" his throat by rubbing the top and bottom of it together. This makes a noise that sounds like a piglet's snort. In the height of allergy season, it's the music that serenades Bruce and me to sleep each night. I often hear it throughout the night, too, which means my boy is not getting good rest. This probably explains the ever-present blue shadows beneath Clay's eyes.

And any time he is outdoors, you can bet I'll be piggy-backing his Claritin with a dose of Benadryl, because his eyes become inflamed, red and irritated. (Before I realized he had allergies, when he was still a toddler, the white part of his eyeball swelled so much he had a knot on the side of it. I came unglued and called my mother-in-law who told me Clay's uncle did the same thing as a boy because of allergies. I dosed Clay with Benadryl and his eyeball returned to its normal sphere. This has happened only a few times thankfully!)

BUT...

Clay does not have asthma because of his allergies. He does not require injections as treatment.

I know he has had it easy compared to others with allergies.

Still, we prayed for them to go away, and they have. And for the first time in his life that my son can remember he is having a symptom-free, medication-free summer.

That's big for us.

And Clay knows we prayed for this.

That's even bigger.


"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."
Hebrews 4:16

"I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him."
1 Samuel 1:27

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"
Matthew 7:11

13 comments:

Denise said...

Praise God for precious answered prayers sweetie.

Addicted to Beadz said...

Tanja,

AWESOME! I have allergies. I know some of those feelings. Praise God. What makes it even sweeter, like you said, Clay KNOWS you prayed for allergy free season. God answers prayers.

Blessings!
Cheryl

eph2810 said...

Oh, Tanja - that is so awesome. What a praise report and testimony to His grace.
I am so thrilled that you son can now experience a summer without allergies and medication.

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us.

Be blessed today and always.

Peggy said...

Tanja...God bless your cuties and continued believing in answered prayers. What a great way to build faith in Clay...claim it and let him know that the allergies are leaving in Jesus Name...your aMazing Scripture verses show that you are thankful and give God the glory for a season free of allergies! I'd be rejoicing and looking forward to your GREAT vacation! Way to GO BIG with GOD for his faith to increase! Stay blessed and grateful daily! I am not always that blessed to go without seasonal allergies!

Cheryl said...

That is such a big thing Tanja! When it comes to our kids everything is big!! Thank God for his relief from his misery! I know the pain a Mom feels when her child is uncomfortable!! No matter what it is, we love our kids and want them to be happy and when they are not then we are not. I truly enjoyed your scripture! Thanks a bunch for sharing it! Happy TT friend!

Jennifer said...

That's just GREAT!! I'm so glad that Clay is doing MUCH better.
It's so awesome when we stand back and take in all of the answered prayers that we have. Our God is GOOD!!!

Tanja, I feel your pain. I used to be up many nights with little Blake and his Asthma/Allergies. Michael and I also did alot of praying for him. He was just miserable. It was so sad.
At age 3 he was on a daily dose of Singular, daily treatments of Pulmicort through a nebulizer. We even had to spend a few nights in the ER because of his breathing. No fun for little Blake at all. He and I both would just cry!

Thank the good Lord above...we don't deal with that ANYMORE! He hasn't had problems with his allergies/asthma in over a year!
I'm sure he doesn't even remember it. Which is another blessing in it's self!!

So I'm also very thankful today for that!!
Thank YOU for reminding me of my blessings this Thursday morning.
I have thanked the Lord numerous times...but he deserves all the praise once again.

Have a great day Tanja!

Darlene said...

God is so good. So glad that Clay is doing better. Great list of thanks!

Have a fabulous week!

Melanie said...

Tanja, How great that God has made those allergies better for Clay. And, how great is it that Clay realizes he prayed to God about his allergies and they are better because of those prayers?!

Happy Thankful Thursday

Laurie Ann said...

Our God is an awesome God! May He bless your thankful heart for sharing this with us.

bp said...

Praise God for answering your prayers. That's powerful!

Christina said...

That is so awesome. Glad to hear your prayers were answered. I'll bet Clay is happy. My B-I-L suffers allergies and they never give him a break.

Anonymous said...

God is good, isn't He? praise God!

southmsmomof4 said...

Praise The Lord! What an awesome testimony. Thanks for sharing it from a mother who has three out of four children that have been told by the physicians they NEED the meds daily. I on the other hand give 2 so far on an as needed basis only and am praying in Jesus name for the oldest to not have to take them daily either. Thank you again.
Be blessed,
Stacy