Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ten on Tuesday - Inventions



10 Inventions That Have Made Life Easier

Love this list idea. Makes you realize how good, and easy, we really have it these days. Yet we still complain that we don't have time to get things done. Ahhh, that's the nature of us beasts.

10. Right off the get-go, during summer, you've got to give props to the inventors of the air conditioner. If you've ever had the eighth or ninth month of pregnancy fall during summer... you know what I'm talking about. I love my AC!

9. Microwave. Leftovers are so much easier today than they were for my grandmother's generation.

8. Cell phones. Bruce and I keep track of each other via cells often.

7. Braces. Yes, braces. Anyone who has seen a picture of me before I had braces on my teeth for three years will attest to the truth that braces are a modern miracle.

6. Refrigerator. Because I appreciate the fact that my food is stored safely and I don't have to worry about food poisoning. We have enough vomit in our home thanks to viruses; we don't need any food poisoning here.

5. Washing machine. I could make it without the dryer, but if my washing machine ever dies, we'll be replacing it the very same day... even if we have to eat pinto beans for months to cover the cost.

4. Motor vehicles. Makes traveling long distances so much easier. But I think a horse and buggy would be cheaper these days.

3. Ovens/stoves. Ever cooked a real meal over a campfire? I haven't. Thankfully.

2. Computers. How did people survive without all the ways that computers make life easier? Got sick kids but want to see if the library has a book you've been dying to read? Go online. Got questions about a medical malady, but it's 2 a.m. and all the pharmacies in your area are closed? Go online. Got time to kill and need some mindless entertainment? Go online and find a mahjong or sudoku game.

1. Indoor plumbing. I've used an actual outhouse once. It ain't right, folks. On so many levels, it just ain't right.

Want to list inventions you're thankful for? Go here.



P.S. Like my new signature? I do. My friend Nicole did it for me. She's great!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

Ahhhhhhhh....you made me blush! ;) I am glad you like your signature...and if you don't, I do not mind changing anytime. I forgot to send you directions on how to do it...I will so that right now!!!

Okay as for your post...I spent the night with a friend once who had an outhouse and I didn't go to the bathroom for 24 hours...unhealthy but I was NOT using that thing!!!

Love the game...Mahjong...I got really burnt out on Solitare but on our new PCs at work we have Mahjong...very amusing when you are bored.

And definitely a big YES to the AC...when we still lived in our old house...the heat pump went out every year in July and it would be out for 3-4 days until the man could come and fill it up with frion...try getting ready for work when it is 87 (yes that is what it read on the thermostat) degrees INSIDE!!!! Shew!

Christina said...

Great list and ditto on the washing machine, I would be with you eating pinto beans if mine ever went.

Anonymous said...

your sig looks great! :)
love the invention list!

Pierce Family Happenings said...

I love this post! :) I'm with you on the washing machine. I don't know what I would do without ours. Our first house didn't have a dishwasher. I am now completely spoiled about having a dishwasher. I love my dishwasher...run it every night while we sleep and wake up to clean dishes.
I hope you weren't too hard on Bruce about forgetting to tell you about Todd and Cindy's baby. :) I think it is in the "husband gene" to "forget" to share important info with us! :)

FlipFlop Mom said...

I loved your list... I think I would cut out the cell phone and add a breadmachine instead.. Yes.. this crazier blogger does NOT have a cell phone.. and does NOT want one... EVER!! I hate phones.. but hate bills even more.. crazy.. I know.. but that's crazy me!! Ü