Monday, March 24, 2008

Camping Over Spring Break

We've been semi out-of-the-loop the last few days because we've been camping at a nearby park. It's been the perfect beginning of the season for several reasons.

The park is close enough for us to head home daily to check the mail, feed the dog and fish, grab the newspaper, catch an afternoon nap in our regular beds (on Sunday) and do a few loads of laundry. But it's far enough away that we aren't tied to our phones, TiVo and computer.

I came home today with the kids (Bruce is not off from work this week) because it's too cold for them to run around outside all day like they have been the last few days. It's actually been snowing on and off most of the day. Crazy spring weather! I got some necessary housecleaning done, whereas during any other family vacation that wouldn't have happened.

Our kids have been enjoying this first camping excursion of the year largely because we know so many other campers up there. There are three other families from church whose kids are close to ours in age - the Duncans, the Fullers and the Holdways. Clay's two best buddies are camping with us, but he's had to share them a bit with Spencer and Allison.

Once, Allison was playing on the playground alone with Nick and Tyler, and Tyler's daddy Danny said, "You better watch out for that!" I laughed and said, "Are you kidding me? If this keeps up, she'll think of them only as extra brothers, and they'll be completely safe." But later that evening, Allison was tagging along after Nick pretty mercilessly. I even had to tell her to quit hugging on him! Silly girl.

The next day, she had bigger fish to fry! She hugged on Carolyn more than me, and sat on Danny's lap more than Bruce's. I think we could be replaced. For a bit anyway.

I have loved this trip with three of my favorite mommy friends there for me to gab with. It has been so wonderful. For me to have uninterrupted talking time with Carolyn, Amy and Kim, we're usually meeting over a meal at a restaurant with our husbands at home watching the kids. But for these sweet days, we've been chatting amidst campfires, s'mores and our grubby, squealing-with-glee children.

Here's a couple brief highlights (or lowlights, depending on your view):

Bruce made a little boy cry. The little guy had been ugly to all three of our kids over the course of a few hours to the point that they didn't want anything to do with him anymore. He came back around to play with them again and Bruce told him pointblank, "You've been mean and now they don't want to play with you anymore." He wailed off into the distance when Bruce asked him if he needed to speak with the little boy's parents.

We were hanging out with the Duncans when their daughter walked up with a face smeared with blood. Bruce and I thought she had doctored her face up with egg dye or something to play a joke on us. But, no, it was real blood. Hers, in fact. Her nose had a small nick on it from being beaned with a hard-boiled Easter egg by her brother. It wasn't a high point for the Duncans, but it was definitely memorable!

We all camper-hopped, checking out the differences between each of our homes away from home. It's amazing how different each one is. And how cozy they become.

We played Hearts last night with the Duncans inside a shack at the campground. At one point, Carolyn looked over my shoulder and said, "Who is that?" It completely freaked me out, thinking of someone peeping in the windows at us. Sure enough, there were some kids with flashlights outside, trying to be spooky. Turns out they were the older Holdway and Fuller boys. I should have let Allison after them. One bear hug from a little girl and I'm sure they'd have hightailed it out of there!

Okay, the hugest (don't check the grammar books for that one!) camping breakthrough so far happened Sunday morning when, for the first time, we didn't burn what we fixed in the gas oven. Yee-haw! I am learning to cook in the smaller space, which is great considering that our family vacation to the Outer Banks this summer is looming ahead and I've heard there are not a plethora of restaurants in that area.

Another great thing about camping close to home is that I've been able to keep tabs on my grandpa via the phone calls I make daily to his hospital room. I haven't talked to him today because he's awaiting word from his doctor about being moved to the rehab portion of the hospital. He seems to be doing better. I'm still waiting to decide about my visit there later this week... when to go, with kids or without, etc.

Bruce is on his way home from work and we are meeting his parents for supper before taking them out to the campsite.

I'll post pictures later. Bruce has taken a few.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FUN! FUN! FUN! We love camping. Camping doesn't love us so much right now, with a one year old. But reading your post made me long for bacon and eggs on the grill and dirt under my nails!

~cassie~ said...

Sounds like you all are having a great Spring Break...A little more exciting than our Grand Cleaning Adventure!!! Ha ha ha

Nicole said...

I am SO jealous...my very good friend at work has been camping this week also and another of my friend's has been camping in Pigeon Forge. We are looking at a couple houses right now in hopes to get in one within 3 months but after that we are definitely getting a camper!!! Hopefully by next year at the latest!!! Then maybe we could go camping together...

Unknown said...

Sounds like you all are having a blast. What a great time with family and friends. Please tell them all hello for me. Especially Kim. I haven't seen her in such a long time. I need to email her. Do you have her latest email address?