Monday, March 24, 2008

Narnia

We haven't seen Hollywood's version of the C.S. Lewis classic, "The Chronicles of Narnia." I own the DVD, but I haven't opened it yet to watch with the kids. I think they're a bit young for the hyper-stimulating images that I expect from a movie generated by non-Christians.

But I've never read the books and I really wanted to, with my kids.

A couple of months ago, I borrowed my brother-in-law's books of the series. All seven of them. The Magician's Nephew; The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of The 'Dawn Treader'; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

I started reading them with the kids. Beginning, of course, with The Magician's Nephew. We didn't get very far. It just seemed too big of a task. And we always seem too busy to sit down for lengthy reading sessions. Our lifestyle right now is much more conducive to short, sit-down sessions with Dr. Seuss.

So I cheated. I returned my brother-in-law's books to the bookshelf in his room at my in-law's house. And I went to our local library and checked out Focus on The Family Radio Theatre's CD audiodrama of the series. There are seven sets of CDs, just like there are seven books.

Here's a compilation of the whole shebang that christianbook.com sells.



We're in the car a lot. More than I'd like to be. I thought these CDs would be a great way to circumvent the whole tussle over which radio station we should listen to (see this post here).

It has worked like a charm. I no longer hear clamoring when we get in the car to listen to Electric. No. Instead I get, "Turn on the CD! Let's see what happens next." We all love it!

Each CD set is wonderful. We're getting ready to start the third story, The Horse and His Boy. I highly recommend them to anyone else who would like to get the "real deal" and not the Hollywood hyped-up version.

One day, we'll watch "Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" and "Prince Caspian". But for now, I like that my kids are limited to their own imagination in visualizing the suspenseful scenes. Their minds are much purer than what Hollywood dishes out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I just stumbled across your blog. A note of warning on Narnia. Even though the stories seem to have very little violence in them the movie it totally different.

The battles are huge and there are many strange creatures all around. My sisters 11 and 7 were not allowed the watch any of the battle scenes at all. You may just want to watch the movie by yourself :P

Eric Novak
http://www.ericnovak.com

Jodi said...

Hi :) I just wanted to thank you for your comment recently on my blog. For some reason I thought I responded to your last email to me, but I just looked it up and see that I didn't. So a belated thanks for sharing your amazing story with me! You have a beautiful family. Thanks also for the continued prayers, they are appreciated!

KC said...

What a great idea.. My 12 year old sat down and read the whole book all the different stories when she was 10 years old.. I have only made it though the 1st 3.. So this CD thing is a wonderful idea for me.. who can't find the time to sit and read much.. We did see the 1st movie my older two watched it, my 3rd started but it didn't hold her attention and she fell asleep.. the 4th is just too young for such things. The movie was OK but I like the book better.. I think I would have liked the movie if I would have seen it before I read the book.