Saturday, March 8, 2008

Gotta Love 'Em

If you're here visiting for the Blog Party, click here for my post about that. Please feel free to browse as well.

My kids have driven me nuts today. I'm certain they totally understand that Bruce's homecoming is just around the corner, and they've had just about enough of me.

Grouch, grouch, grouch. All day long. From them. Not me.

But right at this moment, the house is silent except for the hum of the heat pump and the clicking as I type. Oh, and the ever-present chugging of the washer and dryer.

And why is the house so silent, you ask?

Because I have each of them behind locked doors. Just kidding.

My in-laws have all three of my kiddos at a church fellowship. And I am home. Alone. Not to be confused with the movie, "Home Alone," in which there is still a kid present. Nope. Not here. Not now. No kids.

Can you see my smiling face?

Well, look closer then, because it is here.

Oh, I love my babies. And they really have been pretty normal this whole week that their daddy has been gone. And by normal, I mean normal. Not perfect. And not even "good" all the time. Just normal. Sometimes sweet enough to scoop 'em up with a spoon and swallow them whole, and other times so rotten I'd like to spit them into the kitchen sink.

Because they have been little red, horned devils today, I warned them in the biggest way I could to behave while with their grandparents. I reminded them that they are the two adults that used to spank daddy, so they have plenty of practice.

To which they all replied, "Oh, we'll be good."

And Spencer added, "We love Meemaw and Peepaw. We're always good for them."

Huh? Well, what about me? And so I asked. And I know better, but I did it anyway. It was reflexive. It just happened.

I said, laughing, "Well, what about me? Why aren't you good for me all the time? Don't you love me?"

And Allison said, "Oh, we love you. But Meemaw is just a better person than you."

And so that is how you wipe the smile off of Mommy's face.

Boogers, I tell you. Every one of them!

I'm going to enjoy my peace now.

8 comments:

~cassie~ said...

My kids have drove me crazy today too...I do think part of it is due to me working last night and not getting to sleep today...My nerves are running thin...and sleep is needed...James is working this weekend...so it is me and the 3 wild ones....so I am there with you...I just wish there was some silence at our home...there isn't..there is fighting..screaming...and I may just put them to bed early.=)

Rebecca said...

You fell for the classic blunder!!! Ask a stupid question...

There must be this "let's drive Mom bonkers" pact going on today, because here in Mexico it's the same thing. The neighbor kids even got in on it. Sigh. I remember the days when (not kidding) I would set the clock forward when the kids weren't looking and tell them it was bed time at 6:30. Yes, I did it. I'm not proud of it, but I did. And I'd do it again, but they all have personal chronometers. Shame on me for teaching them to tell time. We even tried Christmas morning this year, but one of the 11yos had his watch alarm set for 7am. We tripped the breaker so that we killed all the alarm clocks, but we missed that one.

Well, God's grace is sufficient, right? I think He's given me grace to know that I need to get to bed early tonight!!!

Anonymous said...

Tanja - I think we ARE kindred spirits. I can't believe you have a Meemaw and a Peepaw. That is what I called my mother's parents when they were alive! I have NEVER heard anyone else use these terms or at least the Peepaw part. What a hoot!

Come share some expresso sometime!

Fran said...

Mommas need their peace!! Hope you loved every minute of it. :)

Blessings~
Fran

Sprittibee said...

Poor baby! I'm sorry you got that nasty little comment. :) But remember - they are just kids! :) Sometimes kids are fickle like that. Hope you won't get one like that again!

Happy partying besides that!

Nicole said...

Tanja we SO had the same weekend...husbandless and wired up kids!!! I had a migraine (and I had been doing well not having one for a whole week) after being cooped up in the house all day long on Saturday with my three!! Duffer worked all weekend so I had to do it all and after working all week, it really exhausts me.

I love to read your blog and see that you too are going through the same thing...not that I want you to but it just makes me feel more normal! HA!!!

We should get the kids together sometime...Jett is listening to Rockstar thanks to little Spencer! HA ;) He used to listen to it but wanted to hear it again.

I admire you so much...you are the greatest!!

Anonymous said...

What's that thing about Kids say the darnest things? Oh well. Enjoy your peace and quiet while you have it. I found you through the blog party, but I really love the way you write, so I'm adding you to "the list". I'll be back later for more in-depth reading.

Very nice to meet you!
Quirky
http://quirky-is-a-compliment.blogspot.com/

Jerica Smith said...

Bless your heart!! I feel your pain-we have so many days like that too! (and the comment-priceless-you need to write that down and when they have kids....we're going to remind the little stinkers of all of there little "comments" aren't we?! Hang in there-you are a great Mommy!!