Thursday, March 20, 2008

Spencer's Prayers


Isaiah 11:6
"The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat;
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child will lead them." (NIV)

Spencer is a treasure in how he prays to the Lord.

This child, who has not yet come to the point of asking Jesus into his heart, talks to God like He's right beside him. Like He's his best friend. Like we all ought to pray.

Last week, he had a conversation with God during prayer time that went like this:

"God, could you please help me not to have any nightmares tonight? Because they're bad. They scare me. Especially that one about the snakes. I've had that one twice now. And I don't like it. So please don't let me dream that one tonight."

It was so genuine. Why do we adults lose that sometimes?

Well, last night's prayer was equally precious. He said:

"Lord, thanks for dying on the cross, for our sins. That was good. And thanks for Mary crying about it when she saw you on the cross. Because that just showed how much she loved you."

Obviously that little guy has been listening in Sunday school, BSF and Awanas. I'm so glad that the good stuff sticks, too, and not just the bad stuff.

When he finished his prayer, I looked at him and said, "You know, Spencer, you have a gift, the way you pray. Jesus must smile every time you open your mouth to talk to Him."

And I got rewarded with the shiniest smile I've seen in a long time on that sweet face.

3 comments:

Jenileigh said...

This is precious! Praise God!

Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Tanya,
I love following your blog! This was just precious! I am good friends with Greta and Cindy (went to school w/ your hubby also!). Anyway, I believe we inherited your wonderful purple dinosaur sandbox last summer!! THank you! Provides hours of entertainment for my DD Abigail who is 5..as does your blog! Thanks again for being so generous with the dino! :) Sorry for the novel!
Anne

Tanja said...

Anne, as soon as I saw your first name in the same note as Greta and Cindy's names, I knew I was dealing with The Great Anne. I hear your name often from your two buddies, both of whom I think are wonderful ladies. It's funny, I was thinking about that sandbox the other day. Mostly because there's still a bald spot in our yard where it used to sit. Now that it's gone, my kids just dig in the dirt there. I'm not sure that's an upgrade. But it keeps them busy, so the extra laundry is worth it sometimes. Thanks for reading about our antics. :-)