Thursday, May 1, 2008

Magazine Covers

Have you noticed how often popular magazines tout the latest "sexy" list? In line at Wal-mart, I rarely see magazines that have a front cover without the word "sex" or one of its derivatives on it. I do not subscribe to many magazines for that very reason.

However...

Bruce travels with work and he had acquired so many air miles that about a half a year ago we were offered the chance to exchange those miles for magazine subscriptions. I picked several magazines from the list that I thought would be safe.

Newsweek. Time. TV Guide. Cookie. Domino. I've already cancelled a couple of the subscriptions (but not to the ones mentioned just now), either for content I didn't care for or because I just can't keep up with reading that many magazines.

A few days ago, our latest TV Guide arrived. The front cover shouts (Yes, it shouts!): "Jennifer Love Hewitt: THE SEXIEST WOMAN ON TV"

My older son read the cover out loud. Remind me again why they need to read at this age?

Clay and I have talked about sex and how the world distorts it from the way the Lord intends. We've discussed how magazines and television try to make even inanimate objects "sexy". So after he read it, he just walked off.

Leaving my younger son wondering.

"What's sexy?" Spencer asked.

This is where vagueness comes in handy. My policy about informing my kids about sex is "need to know." They need to know as little as possible and only after they've asked... more than once usually.

"Oh, it means that you think someone looks good."

"You're sexy, Momma."

Ugh! That just does not sound appropriate at all. Let's try again.

"No, honey. Boys don't call their mommies 'sexy'. That's a word you want to use for the lady you marry one day. It's good to think your wife is sexy."

Right. That's so much better in the way of explaining things.

"But why, Mommy? You look good. You're beautiful."

Well, what could I say to that?

"Thanks, sweetie. That's a wonderful thing for a boy to tell his mom."

I just want my kids to stay innocent for as long as possible. Stupid magazine covers.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

LOL! Ha Ha, your son thinks you're sexy? Oh this is just too good!

OK, seriously though, I think I see what you mean. I don't have kids (yet), but I had to babysit for my aunt for 3 months when she was in hospital with all 3 kids under 5!

We do need to protect their innocence; keep thm from as much as we can, the world will more than make up later on.

Must be impossible sometimes. Oh well, the Lord is there to guide you and you do get some laughs out of it. Right?

Sharon,
http://thereservoir.wordpress.com