Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thankful Thursday - VBS



Our church's Vacation Bible School starts this Sunday.

VBS is like a week of Christmas to me. I just love the excitement everyone has about our Lord for our kids.

This year, I'll be teaching second graders with friends Cindy and JoElla. We all three have second graders, so pray that the mother-child bond will be secondary each evening for those precious few hours that ALL the kids need to hear the message.



By next Thursday, I'll be posting about how thankful I am that it's nearly over, and I will be. Because, if you've ever worked in VBS, you know how draining it can be.

But it's a good draining. It's a dumping out of self while pouring in more of Him. It's the most gratifying week of service to God that I have all year.

Please pray with me, not just for the kids that come to our church's VBS, but for the children who will be attending various churches VBS throughout the country this summer. It's an awesome evangelistic tool.

According to a page on the Lifeway website, "as many as one fourth of all baptisms in Southern Baptist churches can be tied directly to VBS conversion experiences. In a 2003 study by the Barna Group, data from churches showed the probability of someone accepting Christ after age 12 dramatically drops. (George Barna, Transforming Children into Spiritual Champions, 34)"

It's not about baptisms. It's not about church memberships. It's about Jesus... introducing Him to a kid in a way that's tangible, alive and real. And fun. Let's not forget fun. Because who wants to be a stodgy Christian? Certainly not a little eight-year-old.

Viva VBS!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,

Wow, VBS is starting already. I loved VBS when I was a kid.

Have a great time.

Anonymous said...

precious! you're a blessing to those kids. may God bless you more each day and everyday.

Denise said...

I pray that your VBS will be filled with many heart blessings.

Anonymous said...

I wish you an abundance of God's grace Tanja. As He uses you to bless those precious children, I pray that you also will be blessed in Jesus Name (Amen!)

Jennifer said...

Great Thankful Thursday!!
VBS is such an awesome tool. So many children are touched by this ministry. So many children are saved. So many seeds are planted.

I am really looking forward to VBS. I am working with the 3 year olds...I had them last year too. That age is lots of fun...never a dull moment!

Susan said...

Sounds like a great week ahead.

I remember those VBS days! So many wonderful memories, so many children find Christ.

Thanks for serving! Blessings.

Can't wait to hear ALL about it♥

Melanie said...

I love VBS, too, and can't wait it is that time at our church. Just a few more weeks to go.

Happy Thankful Thursday!

bp said...

I hope you are blessed during your time working with VBS next week. Have fun and make happy memories while planting seeds!

Anonymous said...

Yes i love VBS too. Hope that will successfully done. Blessings to you!

eph2810 said...

I so agree with you. VBS is a huge evangelizing tool. Not only are children being touched and Jesus is made know to them, but most likely they take the information home. I think it is so precious when children telling the (maybe) un-churched or unbelieving parents about Jesus.

Thank you so much for sharing your grateful heart with us this week.

Blessings to you and your precious family.