Saturday, May 24, 2008

Saturday Singing - For the Chapman Family



I had another song picked for this week's Sings My Soul Saturday, but the family of Steven Curtis Chapman has been so much on my heart, I'm switching. Please continue to pray for the family after the loss of their young daughter in such a tragic manner.

Just a few of his songs that have ministered to me throughout the years, and their meanings to me.

This first one is one of the first SCC songs I remember from my years as a newborn Christian. It was wonderful to me to hear someone sounding like it was fun to be saved. I never hear this one without jacking up the volume and making some noise along with it.





This one was sang at our wedding 14 years ago. I'm positive we're the only ones in American to ever have this sung for our nuptials. Because we are so original that way.





This one I included in a lesson that my great friend JoElla and I taught in our Sunday school class of 7th-8th grade girls. The lesson came from Vicki Courtney's study "His Girl" and that week we were discussing self worth. This song fit perfectly.





This one is my all-time favorite SCC song. We are free. We aren't slaves to sin anymore. Jesus came to give us life... in its most abundant, filled-to-the-rim-of-the-cup kind of way.




There are so many other Steven Curtis Chapman songs that have meant something to me at some point in my life. I just wanted to share these because they are so personal to me.

13 comments:

Pierce Family Happenings said...

What touching tribute! We were some of the originals who had that song played at our wedding also! :) Yesterday I had to run a million errands, each time I turned on 88.3, they were playing a SCC song. The last one was "Cinderella". I still can't believe what this family is walking through right now. Have a great Saturday!

Sita said...

Hi, Like thousands across the world, I felt the pain with the Chapmans. For God to allow this to happen, it must mean His glory will pour forth in a way that will boggle the mind.
[btw..you mentioned a friend 'Joella'..that is an unusual name and was the name of an MK where I grew up--is she originally from Sask. Canada and were her parents missionaries in the Caribbean?]

Susan said...

Oh what a beautiful tribute to someone who has blessed so many lives!

I pray the Chapman's feel all the love they have generously sown in the hearts of countless others.

Blessings to you this Memorial Day Weekend!!

ocean mommy said...

Beautiful!

I too have very distinct memories when I hear his music. They have just become theme songs!

Blessings to you
steph.

Andrea @ Mommy Snacks.net said...

What a great tribute! SCC has sung so many wondeful songs and ministered to my heart in a way I'll never forget. I pray for his family and their ability to allow others to minister to them during this painful time. Thanks for sharing!

Addicted to Beadz said...

I agree, what a great tribut to the Chapman's! I too, agree, I hope they feel the love, support and prayers shown at this time.

Thanks for sharing!

Have a blessed and safe weekend!

Melissa Lea said...

Thank you for sharing all of these songs! What a blessing! Have a blessed weekend!

Melissa in Mel's World said...

What a great and loving tribute to a man who has touched so many lives...we, as believers, are standing in the gap with the family as we lift them up in our prayers...great post Tanja!

Liza on Maui said...

Yes, "I Will Be Here" was sung in our wedding.

Thank you for sharing all these videos/songs of Steve Curtis Chapman. It's a blessing

Mindy said...

I can't help but think that little Maria must be at the side of the Lord looking down over the world this week, and seeing so much love and prayer being extended to her family and knowing that all she was taught was true!

FlipFlop Mom said...

These are GREAT GREAT songs... great picks.. my heart breaks for them.. deeply....

I wanted so badly to put Cinderella on my daughters prom pictures.. before this happened.. and couldn't figure it out.... I sat for HOURS watching videos of his on youtube and Godtube .. and then then a couple days later... I hear about this...

This man has touched so many.. I know he feels all our prayers, love and support.. for him and his family!!

Amy Wyatt said...

Thanks for the tribute to SCC. His family has ministered to so many and his words have comforted so many in all kinds of situations. I pray that they will be comforted with the same comfort they have given.

Shari said...

What a neat variety of songs. I Will Be Here would be just perfect for a wedding. I chose a SCC song for Then Sings My Soul Saturday, too.

I'm concerned for the Chapman's and the emotional pain that they are going through. I just love what they are doing for God through the Orphan ministry.