Saturday, May 3, 2008

Extraordinary

I spent Friday evening and most of today at the Extraordinary Women Conference with friends Christy and Cassie.

I'm still digesting a lot of what was said, but it was good.

I went mostly looking forward to hearing Mark Schultz, who I think is just a wonderful musician, and listening to Lisa Whelchel, because... well, she was Blair, for goodness sakes, on Facts of Life. Ain't that enough?

Actually, she hits high marks with me more for her book Creative Correction, which I have checked out of our church library on more than one occasion. And I had every intention of buying that book Friday night. Had it in my hands even.

But then I found this little gem that had my name all over it.



The timing of finding this book is just perfect. Last week I attended a BSF seminar called Personal Quiet Time. I do not wing it in my time with God. I need structure, so I use devotionals, my BSF materials or the study guides for preparing to teach Sunday school.

But, when I grow up, I'd like to do my quiet time like my mother-in-law does... with just a Bible, a notebook and a pen. Oh, and some quiet time. I'd need that first and foremost.

And this next one snuck up on me.



I had the Creative Correction book in my paws, ready for purchase. But then I saw the one on wisdom and I thought, "I can certainly use a little more of that!" Well, I can actually use a LOT more of wisdom, but let's not quibble about the details.

I love this book because it has 52 sections... one for each week of the year. I can stretch a little wisdom across the whole year. And maybe at the end of the year I'll have absorbed it well.

There were so many other great musicians and speakers there, but like I said, I'm still digesting.

Mandisa blew me out of the water. And I love the following song.



I just gave Bruce a very strong hint that on Mother's Day, I'd very much like to receive her CD.

It's a doggone good thing I gave that hint, too, because his response was, "Oh yeah. When is that?"

I can't fault him for not knowing. He's stunned right now. He's spent the better part of the last 24 hours alone with three kids, having two baseball games and a batting practice session to attend, a toilet seat that needs fixing, and a lawn that needed mowing.

2 comments:

KC said...

Those books look really good I'll have to check them out.

~cassie~ said...

I had a great time!! Thanks for spending your weekend with me...It was a great conference...and I am so glad we all got to go together...Have a great day!