Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

We are camping this weekend, but I've set this up to post this morning, even in my absence.

I am so blessed this Mother's Day. There were years that I did not think I'd ever be a mother, and now, nearly eight years later, we have three little pumpkins. I tell my "babies" (who have recently started telling me that they aren't babies) all the time that next to their daddy and Jesus, they are my greatest gifts from the Lord.

I have read a lot this last week about people and their mothers. And then I got the sweetest note from a dear friend of mine. She's my neighbor, Harriet. Actually, she just sold her house, so she isn't my neighbor anymore, but she remains my friend. And more... she's one of my mentors.

Here's what she wrote:

"To my friend, Tanja: (I know you have probably gotten the devotion below today as well, since you introduced me to the Proverbs31 site, but I just have to share this with you, too!) I have so enjoyed watching you from across the street these past several years as you have interacted with Clay, Spencer, and Allison. Your children are precious, and you two have provided a strong love and dedication as you have raised them. Tanja, you and I have talked - A LOT - about this 'child-rearing' thing, and despite your occasional lack of faith in yourself, believe me, you are a wonderful mother! These years will fly swiftly by, and soon you will be enjoying your grandchildren as well. You and Bruce are such strong Christian people, and you are truly raising your children in the fear, love, and admonition of the Lord. I love you both, and pray God’s blessing and guidance for you."

Harriet is a grandma. She's been one of the best examples of a person living out God's grace that I've ever seen when she faced the illness and imminent death of her sweet husband more than a year ago. She's told me their love story, and it's beautiful. And now she's been given another chance at a sweet love, and we talk about that, too. I pick her brain and spirit as often as I can, and intend to continue doing so with even more opportunities once all three kids are in school in the fall. I've already told her that I'll be calling her to "do lunch" often.

She included the following Proverbs 31 Ministry devotion, which I had received, but it's so great it's worth sharing. Here you go:

Mother of the Year
by Micca Monda Campbell

“Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her.”
Proverbs 31:28 (NIV)


I long to be a godly wife and mother, but my efforts to become this "ideal" woman stated in Proverbs can leave me grieved and depressed. I felt especially defeated the year my youngest son started kindergarten. In Tennessee, kindergarteners follow a scattered schedule the first two weeks of school where half of the class attends one day and the rest comes the following day. It helps them adjust. For me it brought confusion.

On Tuesday, I took my son to school, kissed him good-bye, and headed home to work.
I was busy at the computer when the telephone interrupted my pace.

"Hello?"

"Mrs. Campbell, this is Parker's teacher. I was wondering who would be picking him up from school today."

Stunned that I had forgotten my child, I jumped in the car and raced to the school. He stood on the sidewalk holding his teacher's hand with tears in his eyes and REJECTION stamped across his heart. I took him home, apologized profusely, and made his favorite meal for dinner. I felt like the worst mother ever.

Thursday, we returned to school. All was going well until I was, once again, interrupted by the phone. I had forgotten to pick up my child not once, but twice in the same week!

I sped to school on two wheels. This time he was standing with the room mother, who was obviously a true Proverbs 31 Woman. As she helped him buckle his seatbelt, I tried explaining myself.

"You're not going to believe this, but I did the same thing earlier this week."

"Yeah, I know," she replied bluntly.

I felt I’d been labeled a "bad mother," and I felt like a complete failure.

Later that same year, God encouraged me as a mother when ParentLife magazine named me one of eight "Mothers of the Year!"

Parker's reaction to this surprising news was, "If they lived with us for a while, they'd probably reconsider."

Those were my thoughts exactly. In fact, I asked my husband how I could be given such a great and undeserving honor. With wisdom, he shared that maybe it was God's way of saying I'm doing better than I think. His wisdom helped me put things into perspective.

God never said I had to be perfect. That was my expectation. He never said that I wouldn't make mistakes or a wrong decision every now and then. Again, that was my hope. I had assumed that the Proverbs 31 lady did everything right and I was suppose to as well.

The problem was, with all her great accomplishments, I never considered her "not so good" side. Sometimes I let the bad out weigh the good. Perhaps the "Mother of the Year" award was God's way of saying, "Hang in there. You're doing better than you think, and I'm not the only one who notices." Despite my many mistakes, perhaps my children will some day arise and call me blessed.

The next time you need encouragement, let God whisper to your heart: "I hear when you pray for your children, and I'm there when you teach them about who I am. I watch you love, care, and sacrifice for them. You’re not perfect, but hang in there. You're doing better than you think."

Dear Lord, help me to be the mother my children deserve. Encourage my heart when I feel like a failure. Erase my errors from the hearts and minds of my children. Instead, help them to see Jesus in me, in Jesus’ Name, Amen.

Power Verses: Deuteronomy 11: 18-21, “Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates, so that your days and the days of your children may be many in the land that the Lord swore to give your forefathers, as many as the days that the heavens are above the earth.” (NIV)


Isn't that wonderful? I've always felt really put out with that Proverbs 31 woman. But this perspective is so much more real to me.

Have a wonderful day, all you mothers, and would-be/could-be mothers. And all you other folks... go call your mom and tell her you love her! Being a mom is hard work. She deserves some recognition.

No comments: