Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The End

Today has been an odd day. And it's only lunch time.

Today was the last day of Bible Study Fellowship (BSF) for this year. Next week is Sharing Day, a time when everyone comes together to share what they learned throughout the year. It's usually a very moving time and I enjoy the ones I've attended. But, because even the children's leaders join in, there is no childcare, so it's likely I won't go.

For all intents and purposes, today was my last day of the year for the Matthew study.

I always enjoy the last day, because of that sense of completion. I can look back and see where God has enlightened me throughout the year. Where previously unknown verses became meaningful because of something that was happening in my life at that point. I love that about the Bible... that it's alive and fresh... that it's applicable for today and tomorrow and every day after that.

I'm a little sad today, too, though. This has been my fourth year of study with BSF. And I've always gone to the day classes. But next year I am switching to attend the night classes. Because my oldest son has practically begged me to change so that he can start going with me again. (During day classes, kids can go from age 2-5. Evening classes include groups for kids in first grade and beyond.)

Spencer and Allison have been with me three of the four years I've gone; Clay has been with me only one year.

I am more of a morning study person. I know these women from the day classes. I love these ladies. Many of them have shared much with me and have heard my challenges in exchange. It's an odd sort of friendship in that they know me spiritually better than most of the ladies at my church, but they may not remember the ages of my children. Or even their names. It's a true fellowship of the heart. And I'll miss them. Especially the ones that have ministered to my children.

I am not going to be a ship adrift in completely unfamiliar waters next fall when I start the evening classes. My husband's Aunt Jo attends BSF in the evening, and I think it'll be really special for her to see Clay each week. She's great with my kids.

My group leader from last year switched to evening classes this year. So when the school year starts again, I'll likely get to see Jennifer more than just every now and again in Wal-mart.

And another wonderful friend that was in my group a couple of years ago is switching to evenings next year as well; and Becky and I have shared a lot, so it will be a blessing to still have a constant fellowship with her.

Even though I won't be in the day classes... maybe ever again... God is so good to me.

I almost didn't get to make today's class. Allison woke up barking with a croup cough. No fever. No green snot. No red, hamburger-looking sore throat. But she sounded horrid, and I thought another mother would balk if she heard my girl coughing next to her child.

We got ready with the plan to go, get my notes and end-of-the-year magazine, and swing by and let the kids say "goodbye" to their teachers. But when we got to the kids' class, the teachers and the children's department director said to just stay. I could see Spencer and Allison really wanted to. So we did.

And it was so wonderful.

If you need a good, in-depth Bible study... non-denominational... with some female fellowship thrown in, check out BSF's site to find a study in your area. Men have classes, too.

Next year's study is going to focus on the life of Moses. That's a lot of ground to cover. I can't wait!

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."
-Romans 15:4

1 comment:

kim said...

I will miss you next year as well and I have truly enjoyed seeing you and the kids. I missed you yesterday and hope to see you on Wed. for the final day!!! Tanja just know how much i love you and value our friendship. Thanks so much and for helping me in sooo many ways. Thanks for being a part of my "Sonshine". Love ya, KIM