Friday, May 23, 2008

Successful Completion

On Tuesday, Bruce led the final Financial Peace University class at our church. I missed again, to take Clay to ballgame.

It has been a huge sacrifice for Bruce and me for him to teach this class. He already is MIA on Thursdays while he works toward his master's degree, so one more night away from home has been hard on him. And while I originally attended each session, this last month has been more about baseball for me and the kids than finances. And taking all three to the ball fields without Bruce is not always a joy.

Bruce was so excited after coming home Tuesday evening. He told me the numbers. The whole class had dropped an average of nearly $20,000 of debt. One couple from our church is completely out of debt... and I anticipate for this couple that their next step will be toward purchasing a home since they've been apartment dwellers for years.

Two other couples from church are working the FPU system with a vengeance. I know personally because I've seen it in action. I told Bruce the other night that the Hite and Allen women put me to serious shame when we went to the women's conference together a few weeks ago. Cash only, at every meal. (Way to go, girls!) I shamefully whipped out our debit card a couple times.

There are two other couples from our church who, in my mind, are newlyweds still because they've been married less than or nearly five years. When Dave Ramsey talks about gazelle-like intensity, it fits these two couples to a tee. I think about the legacy they'll pass on to their kids, which is another thing Dave points out early in the lessons.

The past 13 weeks have been worth it. For them and for us.

It's made an impression on our family, too. And I don't mean simply a financial one.

The other day, Spencer told me he was going to be a policeman when he grows up. Because "they know so much" (tell Kevin that one, Christy!). And in his spare time, Spencer plans to go to the swimming pool a lot.

And he wants to teach Financial Peace on the side.

If they can just get an understanding of money and its proper place early in life, what a blessing that will be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell Bruce that we really appreciate his committment to Financial Peace. It has dramatically changed our lives. We have no debt, are looking for a good used car(to pay with in cash)and are completely living on the envelope system. God has shown us so many blessings through this class and it would not be possible without Bruce. Thanks again!

Erica said...

Awesome! We love the FPU program and have watched it bring freeom in our lives and in the lives of our family and friends.

Tanja said...

Yay! Cindy, that's wonderful. What a huge relief, isn't it?

~cassie~ said...

I am so grateful to you and Bruce for committing to teach this class...It has truly blessed our lives....We had made many mistakes in our financial lives in the past...and now we are on the right road to becoming debt free!! I used to think I would never be able to stay home with the kids...and now I have that in my plan for the next few years...thanks to you guys....Financial Peace has changed our lives!!!!

Shari said...

That's so great that you and your husband are leading this class at church. Our church is looking into getting debt free classes. They're considering the one by Dave Ramsey and the one by Crown Financial Ministries. We've been learning about it on our own with Crown's Christian radio shows. But I can't wait to be in a class at church, where we can all encourage each other.