Thursday, May 22, 2008

Thankful Thursday - Birthdays



This week is special to me because three of my favorite people have birthdays back-to-back.

Birthday Cake hates job

My grandpa turns 90 tomorrow. He's had a hard time with his health in the last couple of months, but he's on the mend. And I'm quite sure that "The Widow Woman" down the street will probably be making him a white cake with white icing sprinkled with coconut. It's his favorite, and The Widow Woman, as my grandpa lovingly refers to our family friend, has made them for him nearly every year since my grandma died 15 years ago.

My husband will be 35 on Saturday. I always love it after Bruce turns a year older each year. Because I'm older than him. And from May to October it sounds like I'm only three years older and not four. It's selfish vanity, but those five months are always a good time to ask me how old we are. We don't have big plans for his birthday, because he has already received his gifts over the last couple of months. But he will certainly have a homemade devil's food cake with cream cheese frosting after supper.

And on Sunday, my dear friend JoElla turns 40. She might not like me broadcasting that, but she shouldn't care, because she doesn't look old. In fact, she's gorgeous. So all you church buddies... wish her a happy birthday on Sunday and really freak her out that her secret is out.

The year I turned 30 I lamented the age increase. Until one very wise co-worker said of growing older, "It's better than the alternative." Why, yes. Yes it is.

I'm thankful for another year with these special people.


Job 14:5
"Man's days are determined; you have decreed the number of his months and have set limits he cannot exceed." (NIV)

Psalm 90:12
"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." (NIV)

6 comments:

Denise said...

Sweet birthday blessings to your grandpa, husband, and sweet friend.

Anonymous said...

I always love reading your posts and you have such a sense of humour. Happy Birthday to all those in your life. And tell 'The Widow Woman' 'well done'!

Nicole said...

Hey - Bruce's birthday is on my anniversary! :o)

Anonymous said...

A birthday month indeed! Happy TT to you and Happy Birthday to your hubby, grandpa and friend.

bp said...

It sounds like a special week with all the special birthdays!

Cheryl said...

What a great post Tonja! Happy Thankful Thursday to you! Have a wonderful weekend! God Bless~