Thursday, May 8, 2008

Miscalculation

I'm a terrible judge of measurements. Doesn't matter if it's distance, time or quantity... I just can't wrap my brain around measurements.

I planned to buy a "slew" of strawberries to make two batches of jam. I had my two boxes of Sure Jell purchased. I had my sugar ready to go. Surely a "slew" is equal to the amount of strawberries needed for two batches of jam.

Uhh, yeah. And then some. Feast your eyes on five batches of jam.



I made my two batches and realized I had a bunch of leftover strawberries, cleaned and capped.

Because I love her, I called my mother-in-law to see if she planned to make jam this year and could use them. She sure did and could, but this week was our revival at church, and she was already running late getting home from work.

Again, because I love her, I said I would stay up late after revival and make her batches for her if she'd bring me her containers and some more Sure Jell and sugar. She gets up WAY early for work and is in bed most nights probably before our kids are.

Well, I missed every single sermon of revival. Sunday morning I had Children's Church, and Sunday night we skipped because we have been running too much lately and just needed a night at home. Monday it was essential that I grocery shop because we were out of everything. Tuesday I was nursing a raging headache following the optometrist appointment where my eyes were dilated (does anyone else get horrible headaches that last the whole day after having their eyes dilated?). And last night, Bruce was in a late meeting at work and got home late, which means we had a late supper and couldn't get to church on time.

Bruce took the kids out last night after supper to buy Mother's Day gifts for me. He has class tonight until late, and we're supposed to leave to go camping Friday, so it was last night or never.

I enjoyed my time alone. I blasted the kitchen radio and made Sharon's batches of jam while singing and dancing to Christian tunes.

I hate that I missed revival. But I still feel revived. Last night's sermon just came to me in my home via the radio. And, boy, was it good!


"You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever."

Psalm 30:11-12


"Let them praise his name with dancing
and make music to him with tambourine and harp."

Psalm 149:3

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh, bless your heart! That is ALOT of jam!! It does look yummy!!

I totally can relate, though. I'm absolutely horrible at judging measurements or estimating anything with numbers.

Have a happy Thursday!

Cheryl said...

I loved your picture! You really have lots of jam but it looks so pretty!! Happy TT to you! BTW Love the scripture!